A walk through the caves


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Miri
May 24th 2011
Published: May 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Niah caves


Having booked a private tour with Joanne the night before to depart about 8 we got in trouble for not been ready until 815 from her then our TAXI driver only said your late to us on the one and half trip to Niah Caves. Surprised by the taxi driver we at least later found out we had a good price.
Arriving at Niah Caves we paid our entry to the park fee, collected our map and headed down the board walk for our 8.4 km return walk. Luckily the walk is mostly in the shade as the heat and humidity make it hard work but its a plesent easy walk through to the 1st cave. Putting on our head torches we quickly attracted hundreds of flies to later realise if we carried the torches the flies would be around our hands rather than our faces! Niah caves is where they found the skull of a person that died around 40,000 yrs ago, the oldest found in South East Asia! The skull is now in the museum at the caves. This is evidence of the earliest human population in South East Asia and they believe the people came over from Africa when the land was joined. The actual walk through the caves it very slippery but the caves are above ground and has many entrances although there is only one path through the caves leading to the Painted Caves.
The Painted Caves prove that graffiti isn't a new thing and has been around for thousands of years. Although most of the graffiti has faded you are still able to see the markings of people and symbols with various meanings. Heading back and dying for a drink we stopped at a stall on the board walk where three local village ladies fought over which one we would buy the drinks from! We then had lunch at the cafe by the entrance of the park no need to check the menu only rice or noodles available with vegies, just gotta love them.
For dinner we went to an amazing seafood restaurant where we ordered a range of dishes to share all tasting fantastic. The only downside was we were asked to pay after having only half our dishes then when we got the check after our meal they tried to add an extra 50rm to the bill not thinking that was a bit too much to add without us noticing it wasn't right. So not really wanting to hang around Miri any longer waiting for a trekking tour we decided to leave tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb