Borneo Motorcycle adventure


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah
May 9th 2008
Published: May 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Photo by Koguchi TakashiPhoto by Koguchi TakashiPhoto by Koguchi Takashi

On the way to Maliau Basin


Tour Report

28th April 08

Arrival of guest MH81 1830hrs I met up with the leader and proceeded to the hotel to check in and continued for Dinner. During Dinner we had briefing on the itinerary for the next days journey. I found out that one of them is 67 years old..that was a bit worrying.

29th April 08

0830hrs after b,fast we had a short briefing before heading out on our bikes, mr Kikuchi the leader gave the road rules and regulation and showed a traveling map on the days activity.

We stop at Gunung emas for a short break and enjoyed the cool air. Proceeded to Rafflesia Center for a short visit. We arrive Keningau and had a heavy lunch as every one was really hungry after the long touring. We check in to our hotel and at 1630hrs we went out for more biking around the crocker range park.

30th April 08

0830hrs after b,fast a short briefing on the days journey, everyone seem to be excited I guess it was storys from the 1st group last March who told them about the journey to Maliau Basin. We had our packed lunch by a river side along the way to maliau basin since the road was gravel and pot holes all the way with heavy dust we had to walk down to the river side to avoid the dust from gatting in to our lunch.

We arrive the Maliau conservation gate around 1400hrs and had a few minuts before entering the basin, I advice the leader the best is to leave the bikes at the gate if it does not rain since the road is really challenging when it rains. They decided to ride in since it was not raining but half way it started to rain
and the road got really bad. Everyone was trying there best to negotiate the slippery terrain the oldest Mr Ogawa 67 unbelievably didn't want to quite and mad halfway in until he decided to take the pick up truck. Due to the severity of the road condition we had to abandon the bike at the road side, apparently one of the group members mad it in to Maliau basin study center with his bike. I was glad that everyone had a good fun during the journey in. 4 or 5 of the group members manage to see gibbons crossing the muddy road on the way in.

01st May 08.

after b,fast we visited the sky bridge or canopy walkway later proceeded out to the Maliau gate on the way picking up the bikes that was abandon yesterday. After having our lunch we headed out for Tawau where the sea food was best according to many of my friends. It took us 4 hours to get to Tawau town it was a funny feeling as everyone was staring at us I guess it was the mud that covered most of the bike and the riders. Later in the evening we had sea food for dinner every one was talking about the maliau experience.




02nd May 08

Our day started with noodle soup breakfast and chines tea at a local coffee shop after a short briefing with pack up and headed for Kinabatangan. On the way to Laha datu I had a slight problem with my bike as it was not performing well, we stop at the road side to check on it. Apparently the coil rotor is not functioning properly and is not giving enough
Photo by Koguchi TakashiPhoto by Koguchi TakashiPhoto by Koguchi Takashi

Sea food....the best in Tawau
charge to the plugs but it was not a problem. We continued our journey arriving laha datu at mid day and had our lunch at a local restaurant. I sent the bike to the local repaire shop to change the coil and it was running as expected. We continued to Kinabatangan and stay with the local villages as this is the 1st experience the group had informed me by living in with foster family.

03rd May 08

Another day of riding this time we had to depart at 0700hrs to catch up with the orang utan feeding at sepilok. We waisted no time running 120kmph we arrive at 0930hrs and proceeded to the plat form, there was about 7-8 orang utan that showed up for the feeding everyone was excited to see the orang utan. After having all that experience we departed for Mile 32 for lunch and gas refueling we had BBQ fish, Fried rice and fried noodles for lunch.


04th May 08

We departed for Kinabalu Park to visit the world heritage site along the way we stop at some small fruit stall at kundasang later proceed to Kinabalu park. We visited the
Photo by Koguchi TakashiPhoto by Koguchi TakashiPhoto by Koguchi Takashi

The river cruise along the Kinabatangan River
timpohon gate where the climbers start there climb we where lucky to have a very clear day to c Mt Kinabalu. Lunch was a buffet at the balsam restaurant. By noon we continue to Kota Kinabalu and visited the Sabah Muzium and back to the hotel. We had a local dinner at kota Kinabalu.

05th May 08

After packing up we departed hotel for Kota Kinabalu International Airport for the groups departure, after saying farewell Mr Kikuchi informed me to get ready for the next group in July.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Photo by Koguchi TakashiPhoto by Koguchi Takashi
Photo by Koguchi Takashi

Its much slippery than it looks


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb