Honey I shrunk the kids...


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sipadan
May 16th 2007
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sipadan



Sipadan is a little island off the south coast of Sabah province in Borneo. It's actually just the very tip of a limestone tower that stands straight up 600 meters from the sea floor! Its an amazing feeling when you swim off the edge and know that it goes that far down! And its just as cool when you're 30 meters down checking out all the stuff on the cliff wall and forget that you're so far down!- you look up and can see thousands of schooling fish swimming round near the surface (like in those old bbc2 adverts!). It's renowned as one of the best dive sites in the world and we arrive here to do it as our first fun-dive on our own!! The first dive of the day was absolutely mind-blowing- we said afterwards that it felt like that film 'honey I shrunk the kids!' There were fish everywhere and everything was huge! Way bigger than anything we'd seen up til then. There were bumphead parrot fish and Napoleon Wrasse that were a good 1.5 meter and must have weighed a couple hundred kilos! As well as these we swam with more turtles than you could count, white-tip reef sharks, leopard sharks, Great Barracuda and thousands of Jacks and Travellis. The underwater visibility was at least 50 meters horizontally (which is loads!!). We got some photos but the camera's a bit rubbish so the quality's not all that. Just imagine that the pics are full of colour and really bright- that might come a bit closer to a taste of what it's really like!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb