The Borneo Experience - Part II: Sabah


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
June 12th 2008
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Steps and more stepsSteps and more stepsSteps and more steps

walking through the clouds on the way up to Laban Rata
So took a flight over to Kota Kinabalu (KK) on the 8th June, straight over to the Parks office to sort out my very expensive booking to stay on the side of Mount Kinabalu. Had booked a room for 208 Rm, about 40 quid! Discovered that this included meals though, so persuaded them to give it to me without meals, only 80 Rm (25 quid for 4 meals?!). So had a relax in KK in preparation for the hike tomorrow.

Up at 6am and went to find a shuttle bus, luckily found a few other travelers heading over, so after more noodles for breakfast drove up to the park entrance. After signing in they gave me my meal coupons, bargain!! Although had taken loads of food myself which I had to carry, but couldn't complain! So after lunch(!) started the walk up to Laban Rata which in 6km and 1400ms up! Walking through cloud covered slopes through lots of jungle, step after step after step. Not really any flat bits!! Made it to Laban Rata about 4hrs later. Nice cup of warm tea...so cold as you get higher...well was 10oC but felt freezing! Been away for too long! After dinner got into bed, around 5pm, as we had to be up at 2am to get to the summit for sunrise. Couldn't sleep at all though due to the altitude, at 3272m's!

So up at 2am for breakfast, which they tried to make us all pay for?! So all snuck out quietly, professional bum! Had a slight headache but nothing too serious. Had been a little worried about the altitude after Peru but walking up was no problem at all. So up more steps and then ropes to pull yourself up the rock slopes, all in the dark and being saturated by the clouds we were walking through. All wrapped up though so was all good! As it started to get a little lighter reached the top, but it was covered in cloud so didn't get to see the sunrise. Wasn't too bothered though, just wanted to climb it! People started going straight down again to my amazement, but was freezing up there! Persuaded a couple of others to stay and wait for the cloud to clear. We were rewarded with 20 mins or so and you could see right down to the floor! Amazing surroundings with smaller peaks and sheer drops down from where we were standing!

Gave in to the cold eventually and went back down after lots of photo taking! Back down on the ropes, a little more scary now you could actually see where you were going! Back in Laban Rata for another breakfast within a couple of hours and then carried on down to the start. Soooo many steps, never ending, had very sore legs quite quickly and was suffering by the time we reached the bottom, a good 4 hrs later! Lunch at the park HQ and then got a free ride back as a couple of girls had already paid for their own transport, result! Crashed when I got back to KK and slept for 14hrs!

Woke with stiff legs, surprisingly! but wasn't too bad! Lazy day in KK, getting flights etc rearranged for the homeward leg. Plan is to get home in August some time! Lack of funds, but thinking its about time I came home!

Off to Sipidan tonight for some diving and flying out of Borneo back to KL on the 17th. The photos at the end are the ones I couldn't stick on the last blog,
Follow the ropes!Follow the ropes!Follow the ropes!

trail to the top
from Bako NP near Kuching and then from Semengoh Orangutan place.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Me and GeorgeMe and George
Me and George

...Kinabalu Summit....freezing!
Sheer rock facesSheer rock faces
Sheer rock faces

wouldn't want to fall off
On the topOn the top
On the top

just as the clouds began to clear
Smaller peak in front of the summitSmaller peak in front of the summit
Smaller peak in front of the summit

just about make out the ground...4095 metres below!
Admiring the viewAdmiring the view
Admiring the view

am posing..too cold to sit still!
8km mark plus a map of the route8km mark plus a map of the route
8km mark plus a map of the route

...only 8km of steps down to the bottom?!
Back down the slopes we go..Back down the slopes we go..
Back down the slopes we go..

literally off the edge with rope guides
Munkey!Munkey!
Munkey!

first orangutan sighting at Semengoh!
Bako National ParkBako National Park
Bako National Park

View from one of the smaller trails!
Cheeky MacaqueCheeky Macaque
Cheeky Macaque

patrolling the edge of the cafe
Proboscis MonkeyProboscis Monkey
Proboscis Monkey

Enjoying some tree in the mangroves...mmm leaves!
Paradise snakeParadise snake
Paradise snake

appeared right in front of us on the boardwalk
Monkeys on the moveMonkeys on the move
Monkeys on the move

off back to the jungle after lunch in the mangroves


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb