Back in Sabah!!! Roadtrip.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
August 1st 2007
Published: August 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mamutik IslandMamutik IslandMamutik Island

10 minute boat off Kota Kinabalu - Mamutik. The office of Borneo Divers!!
After my travelling buddy decided to leave me and head back to the UK for a short trip I took a trip back to the beautiful Island of Borneo,, see some close friends and do a small roadtrip!! After a couple nights of lazing around KK we packed our survival kit containing 5 vital items when going to an island; 1. Hammock 2. Bikini 3. snorkelling kit 4. Mosquito Repellant and the most vital of all 5. Beers and headed over to Mamutik where this time around the weather was pretty bad and the water was choppy but our second night consisted of a few beers , the guitar and me definately trying not to sing!!

After getting burnt and a few dives me and Ritchie decided on a roadtrip down to Sipadan so we jumped in the car and cruised down to Semporna where after 9 hours of windy roads around mount Kinabalu and pot holes pot holes and more pot holes.....stuck behing logging trucks cruising at a steady speed of maybe 20 kmph and trying to stay clear of the crazy boy racers we arrived at 10 pm with nowhere to stay and with no clue on who or where we were heading to dive with the next day...

After an hour of wandering finding it actually is quite busy on a friday night and everywhere was full we got lucky and stayed in a really cute room in a floating chalet to be told that the boat to mabul leaves at 8 and to be at the office to go .... to be fair 8 is not that early but apparently it is for us so after waking up at 10 and running to the office to be told we'd have to wait another night we tried to check in again at our accomodation and were told all we could get was a dorm....so we wandered around this tiny harbour with nothing to do for the rest of the day untill we came up with the best plan of munchies ice sceam and sunset which was amazing....

Later we figured we'd get an early night so we could get up at 6 am and not sleep in but being a dorm people were coming and going and both me and Ritchie had eaten too much sugar and had the giggles so we sat outside for hours comparing hairs on our arms!!!! Travelling has taught me that everything and anything can be amazing and the most bizarrest conversations stem and amuse you for hours...

Anyway waking up the next morning our dorm is empty so again i thought we'd missed the boat but no these crazy people just enjoy getting up at 5.30 am in the morning (I know someone who can relate to them very well from my raleigh days!!! but no not me I just think they are insane!!!) anyway we finally got to Mabul although maybe an hour later than scheduled as the boat journey was so rough .... we were soaked and a little disorientated by the motion but I loved it!! We then tried to cut the storm to get our 25 min boat ride to Sipadan which ended up being 45 as the waves were so high but the mass of Italians we had diving with us that day amused me. So Three dives in Sipadan that day with Ritchie was exhausting...the diving this time around wasnt amazing (time of year) so we played every game in the book and was always the first ones up in the boat
Whiskey, Guitar and a song book..Whiskey, Guitar and a song book..Whiskey, Guitar and a song book..

Always the route to a good night!!! Untill you try to sleep in the hammock with no cover and it decides to rain...
with little air left and a fuzzy head!!! It was fun though....

The next two days we lazed and walked around Mabul and then headed back to Semporna for the night and headed back to KK the following day.

I spent one last night on Mabul with an amazing sunset and slept on the beach under the stars which was incredible and then that adventure had to end so i headed back to KL...



Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Start of our Roadtrip..Start of our Roadtrip..
Start of our Roadtrip..

Mount Kinabalu....
Perfect day - hot hot hot...Perfect day - hot hot hot...
Perfect day - hot hot hot...

I spent about an hour with my head out the window taking shots of mount K....
See another!!!See another!!!
See another!!!

Trying to learn Malay through signs and directions was driving Ritchie crazy...im also very forgetful!!!


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 23; qc: 92; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb