Cameron Highlands, Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Perak » Ipoh
July 11th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

We got the bus from Kuala Lumpor into the Cameron highlands. The trip took us about 5 hours and we had to change buses on the way as I dont think the first bus we were on would have made it up the hills. The Cameron highlands is a mountainous area in the centre of the Malaysian peninsula. It's much cooler up here, around 20 degrees C and is such a relief to the 30+ degrees C everywhere else! We stayed in the Cameron highlands for 3 days. Theres a lot to do and see there. Me, Steve, our guide and 2 other Brits went on a 3 hr hike into the rainforest. We stopped off in a village and had a go at shooting a blow pipe. It was suprisingly accurate and easy to shoot. I think all of us managed to hit the target from about 15m away. The goal of the trek was to reach the worlds biggest flower, and we made it, just. There was only 1 in bloom, and must have been at least 1/2 a diameter in width, an impressive sight. After the trek our guide took us to the tea plantations. It was an awsome view, take a look at the photos.

The following day we went white water rafting. The rapids we went down were grade 3 (highest is grade 5). It was a 2 hour bus ride to the destination and then we got picked up by the company. It was good fun. In total we spent about 3hrs rafting. I have to admit I was pretty terrified going down the first set of rapids, but after a few got the hang of it, such a buzz. We got lunch included in the package which we ate after rafting.

The day after we headed to Georgetown, Penang, about a 5 hour bus ride, followed by a half hour ferry journey. Penang is an island off the coast of Malaysia. Its a strange place, down evey ally theres a different temple/church/shrine for a different religion. I think we saw a hindu, chineese, buddist, temple as well as a mosque and a church. A lot of different religions/cultures in one small place.

We are now in Ko phangnan, Thailand. We managed to get here from Penang in 1 day. 14 hours non stop travelling. 400 miles. 3 mini buses, 1 coach, 1 motorbike taxi, 1 ferry (across very rough waters) and 1 taxi. As you can imagine, I was utterly knackered by the end, but now its such a relief to be here. We are here for a week to chill out before heading to Bangkok, and then into Cambodia.

Ben.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb