Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
July 27th 2009
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

We have now made it to Cambodia. Cambodia is a lot poorer compared to Thailand and Malaysia. Street kids are constantly trying to sell us stuff. We took a bus from Bangkok to Siem Reap, it took about 10 hours. Ran into a guy at a bar that night, Kev from Liverpool. Quite a character, he prides himself on haven eaten just about every insect possible which you can buy from the street vendors (he showed us the photos) (there are lots of fried insects which the locals eat around here), next hes gonna try snake. Not for me. Anyway, the day after we went off to explore the temples of Angkor. We hired a tuktuk driver for the day and he drove us to all the main temples. The main and most impressive temple was Angkor Wat, about 1000 years old. It was surrounded by a moat and was huge (check out the photos). From there we went and looked around a few more, Bayon (the temple with the faces), Angkor Thom and some other smaller complexes. All were pretty spectacular, and justified taking up about 150 of my possible 500 photo memory card! We met Luke and his friends that night, went to a restaurant and tried some traditional Kumar dishes, which were really good.

The day after, we took a bus to the capital Phenom Phen. There are so many motorbikes here, its crazy, they must outnumber the cars at leat 10:1. Sometimes you see entire familys on a single motor bike. I think the most people counted on one was 6! We hired a tuktuk driver to take us to the infamous killing fields, only a few kilometers outside the city. Only spent about 1/2 an hour there, there was lots of information about what went on but didn't really want to stay much longer.

Anyway, we are off to Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam soon. Will be in Vietnam now untill August 10th, when we fly back to Bangkok before heading home.

Hope all is going well back in U.K

Ben.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb