Koh Phi Phi antics and the trip to Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang
March 29th 2008
Published: March 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey all!

I left you last Sunday afternoon, so just to finish that off...
We went to a Scandinavian restaurant for dinner, and inside the cover was a picture of the owners with Leo Di'caprio! Very exciting! We felt almost famous ourselves! Dinner was really good too.
There had been another monsoon whilst we were inside the restaurant so outside was damp and still very hot. Back at our guesthouse we met the three girls we had travelled with and sat and chatted with them for a bit. "The geek" with her goggle specs - which magnified her eyes about 1000 times their normal size was annoying but the other two were really nice so we were glad we were getting the ferry to Phi Phi with them in the morning... however it turned out the geek (who was travelling alone) was now joining us!!!

We all got up early and the 5 of us returned to the Scandinavian restaurant for breakfast. We all then squeezed into this tiny car which took us to the port where we would be getting the ferry. It was already about a million degrees...!
The "speed boat" aka the slowest boat in the world, wasso cramped then even Sophie and I were really uncomfortable - and we have short legs! Also the man in front of us kept pushing the seats back! The boat also leaned to to the left side the whole way and I was convinced we were going to sink! I was sooooo despirate for the toilet by the time we got there, that it was all I could concentrate on and wouldnt speak to anyone except Sophie!
In our guesthouse, I unpacked my bag only to find my passpost photos in my pursebelt, which hadnt been used since India and had been put in there for "safe keeping"!!! I was so stressed!
We spent the afternoon on the beach with Frankie and Katie (the two girls we travelled with). They do not seem to get on that well and it later turned out Frankie doesnt like to eat and tries to persuade all she meets to do the same. Anyone who knows Me or Sophie would know that her efforts were pointless... we love our food!
The tide went so far out that Sophie and I were just sitting on wet sand before we knew it and the sea was a small puddle in the distance!
That night we went for dinner and had salmon, which was nice and watched 'The Beach' movie which is set on Koh Phi Phi and Koh Pan gnan. As there are no plugs in our room we had to sit outside our room in the street basially and charge all of our stuff - as everything we own had decided to run out of battery!
Frankie and Katie walked past and invited us for drinks at their hostel. Sophie was too tired, but I went up and met everyone up there. There were three tiny kittens too which made me miss my pets, and they had fleas so I didnt pick them up again once i'd realised! Everyone in F&K's dorm was really nice, and soon two guitars and two maraccas appeared and everyone was singing and dancing!

On Tuesday we overslept, missing our breakfast date with F&K I had arranged the night before! The four of us - joined by "the geek" - then tried to walk to Long Beach, around a 45 minute walk. The sky was overcast and dark and before we had even turned a corner it stated to rain! We retreated into a cafe by the beach and had lunch, then I managed to persuade everyone to go in the sea in the rain - which was so much fun - however the current was strong and there were lots of leaves floating about because of the wind!That afternoon the five of us watched The Simpsons Movie - I am now sick of it as I saw it on the plane out too! And worst of all I had the song "spiderpig" in my head for the rest of the day!
I dont know who's rubbish idea it was to walk to View Point, but soon after our relaxing film we were trudging up a very steep hill and about a million steps to the point. I was so tired and sweaty by the time we reached the top, and we all collapsed onto rocks, not really focussing on the amazing view, trying to catch our breath!
Again it started to rain so after a quick burst of photo taking we hurried back down, finding it only slightly easier as it was so steep!
We went to a place called Papaya for dinner, where the portions were absolutely HUGE!!! Frankie left after about a mouthful of hers, saying she felt sick - and this was our first indication of her eating disorder! Katie, who was very tired but sweet didnt seem surprised by Frankie's disappearance but didnt voice her opinion, although we attempted to squeeze it out of her.
That night we went to a LadyBoy show which was so much fun. All of them sang along to old English Pop, in very elaborate costumes! It was so funny seeing them all over all the men - who were with their partners - and seeing their awkward faces! My stomach hurt at the end as I had laughed so much. At the end frankie and I danced on the stage, amongst the Ladyboys and the breakdancers! We then went to Tiger Bar, where we met some of the people from K&F's dorm... needless to say the drinking and dancing went on late into the night!

At breakfast on wednesday we were joined by F&K, the geek was too hungover to move (aparently from one tequila shot) and we discussed arrangements for our boat trip the next day. We all wandered down to the pier and got a couple of quotes before arranging to meet our driver at 10am the next day! After dropping off our laundry and booking our bus ticket to Penang for friday morning, we joined F&K on the beach. Sophie managed to get really burnt.
On the beach Frankie kept making snide remarks under her breath about Katie and when Katie went into the sea, she made us look at how "fat" Katie had got since they'd been away...! We innocently replied that we hadnt known her before and so couldnt judge, hoping this would stop her... but it didnt!
Late afternoon it clouded over so we went back to charge, shower and pick up the laundry. When sorting the laundry we both were missing a pair of knickers and I was also missing a top! I returned to look for our stuff and was taken 'behind the scenes', and didnt exactly like what i saw! Massive barrels filled with murkey water and the odd sock was their equivalent of a washing machine, and I saw some frogs jumping around in there too. On a table in a wooden hut lay the "clean" washing, and i had to sort through a large variety of underwear in many many many different sizes... I managed to find Sophie's but mine are gone forever!
The five of us went to an Italian restaurant for dinner, however this time it was the geek who didnt touch her food, because of her hangover! Hangovers didnt stop us and we ate our way through all our food, then headed to the Beach Party Bar! Here we all got 'buckets' and played dinking connect four! I was so good at this and won every time!

Today was our last breakfast as a 5, as the geek was leaving! Boo Hoo.
After a quick goodbye, and her leaving us with the words "thanks for letting me tag along" (which made me feel a bit bad for not including her more often) we headed down to the pier for our boat trip! "Darry" our driver welcomed us aboard, and then we were off. It was nice to have the boat to ourselves, and we laughed and screamed at each huge wave or rocky moment! We stopped and donned our snorkle gear, getting into the clear water only to be swarmed by fish. The fish seemed despirate to be as close to us a possible and swam against our skin at every possible moment. Again we were all screaming and got many quizzical looks from passing boats and Darry!
We then got back on to our boat called Stefunnee and were off to a deserted beach! However it wasnt deserted for long. We were soon joined by six thai children who splashed around us. One little girl took a particular liking to Sophie and made her hold her hands in the sea and play with her!
We visited 'The Beach' beach from the film, which was beautiful but very busy so we didnt go on, also beacuse you had to pay! We swam around in the water until one by one we all got stung by something none of us could see, and we all jumped out pretty quickly. We also visited Monkey Beach, however, we saw no monkies! It was a really fun day and a good chance to get to know them better... however as each day passes their friendship seems to deteriorate rapidly!
On our way back Soph and I were starving and managed to throw F&K off at seven-eleven, saying we wanted "water" and return to the italian for some good food, without being encourage not to eat it. We did feel bad for Katie as this meant she may not eat dinner because of Frankie's dislike of food, but our stomachs overrulled this!
Frankie and Katie turned up at our room later wih buckets and cards and we started our evening antics of drinking games!
We went up to their dorm to recrute more members, which was easy and soon had a huge group of us! Later we all went to Tiger Bar... and much much much later Soph and I returned, getting corn on the way. Sophie has fallen asleep before I had even finished mine!

On Friday we woke early, both slightly worse for wear and boarded a very cold boat! This freezing temperature did not last long as we were soon piled onto a minibus which bus so hot both of us were sweating before the driver had even started the engine! On our second minibus, after a VERY long drive we aquired a new set of people, two geeks, two wannabe chavs, a thai man and a hippy from Finland. I was stuck in the back surrounded by the geeks and chavs, all of whom loved to talk. The geek next to me wouldnt stop asking me questions even when I put in my earphones! Both the geeks were wearing geekshoes and i kept teasing Sophie that has she been wearing hers she would fit right in!
All the boys smelt, and what made it worse was that one of the geeks had an embaressing mishap which he couldnt control and the other was listening to mariah carey really loudly! I was in silent hysterics!
We arrived at around midnight and after a plate of very weird and spicy street food, we got a tuktuk, peddled by a very old man to the guest house where we had made a reservation. Upon arrival it was all very dark with no lights inside. Sophie went in to see if she could find anyone in the pitch black. The owner assumed that she was his prostitute and she came back out very quickly! We were taken to S&D guesthouse which is ok (shared bathroom - the norm) only to find aircon rooms left. We took it but aranged to be moved to a fan room the next day which was cheaper! After about 10minutes in our room we had both crashed out!

Today was a lazy day. We woke up late and checked out of our air-con room and into the sister guesthouse on love lane, owned by the same people. Unfortunately we met the geeks there and it turned out they were actually staying at this one, and they looked really happy to see us!!! Great...
After breakfast, we wandered around visiting a chocolate facotry/shop. The innocent boy who showed us around really didnt see us coming as we tried all the tester chocolates - even the ones we didnt like, then didnt buy anything!! Bless him, it was only his first day, so he probably didnt make a great first impression!

Love to all xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb