The attack of the ashtray, the stealing of th phone and the haircut!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
April 6th 2008
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello,

its so hard to remember last weekend as this has been such an eventful week!

We ended saturday by going to the revolving restaurant to celebrate two months of being away. We ate ALOT however, we both started to feel sick as I dont really like heights and it moved very quickly. Although we did get some great views of the city!

Sunday was a boring day! EVERYTHING and I mean everything was closed! We attempt to visit the fort and museum, but it wa all closed. We had a late lunch at an Irish pub and attempted to watch a film but they were only showing Malaysian Films so that was a nono aswell!
I have to admit we spent most of the day on the internet!
However, we did manage to book bus tickets for the next day!

On monday we woke late, used the internet, and went for lunch at Ecco. My first pesto pasta in 8weeks! This was only a small lunch as we had to get our bus to the Cameron Highlands. We were taken by car to the bus station by a very small, crazy old man. It started a torrential downpour just as we got out of the car, so squeaking in our flipflops we tried to find our bus. We were 30mins early and had to wait around on wet plastic seats. On the bus were the nicest and most spacious seats we've had so far! We settled down, but soon (as per usual) both of us we're desperate for the loo! At our first (and only) stop we ran to use the portaloo's - which could have easily have been transported straight from Reading Festival after millions of people have used them, as they we're so disgusting! More people boarded and we we're back on the road.
This is where we first met Adam and Hannah - who we both assumed were a couple. Adam kept turning around to talk to us, assuming I was from australia because of my "accent"! Upon arriving in the Highlands, after some very bumpy and windy roads, all the westeners from the bus squeezed into a minibus and drove to Daniel's Lodge. Most people had booked, however we hadn't and neither had Hannah and Adam... so yet again we ended up sharing a family room with strangers!
My bed was above the double bed (which we gave them... still assuming they were a couple) and I felt like I was sleeping in a coffin it was so close to the ceiling!
In the bar later that night we overhead Adam telling another couple that Hannah was his sister! The penny dropped and we reallised why they didnt jump at the chance of the double bed!!!
That evening end messily... not for us. We sat around playing th drinking game 'Ring of Fire', and after two rounds one man (who looked like a very sunburnt version of Johnny Vegas) projectile vomited everywhere! We were also given a talk on Ikea by a Sweedish guy, who knew all the sort codes of the furnature even though he didnt work for Ikea... he just loved it that much!

On Tuesday (after our lie in, and being woken earlier by Hannah and Adam leaving the room for their trip) we went off on our trip. We hadnt booked through our guesthouse like everyone else and so weren't in the sam bus as them. We were joined by one couple: an American man and his French girlfriend, who were bug and reptile OBSESSED!!!
Our trip started at yet another temple, which was rather gaudy. Our diver abandonned us here, returning 20mins later telling us he'd been for petrol... it was nice of him to let us know! Next we visited a rose garden, containing a few pretty flowers and many flowers and plants looking in need of nourishment! I decided to walk to the top of the garden up a very steep hill, only to find the view from here was exactly the same as the view Sophie could see at the bottom! After this we drove about 2cm down the road to a strawberry farm... we stayed for about 5minutes, taking a picture of unripe strawberries and trying some different types of dried and preserved strawberry.
I would have preferred some more history and background into the things we were visiting, however ournext stop was the Tea Plantation. Here we were bombarded with information from a very bored looking girl, ho wasnt much older from us, finishing her talk very abruptly and staring at us, saying bluntly after a pause "thats it... go".
Here we had local scones and a cup of "Boh Tea", which we both liked so much we bought some! I think that may have been the highlight of the day!
For dinner that night we decided to try the local speciality "Steamboat". we were given a large matal dish, with boiling water and flavoured water, a burner and a selection of fish, noodles, meat and some eggs. These we were meant to cook ourselves, but after two attempts (and both eating raw fish in the process) we called the woman over to help us. The noodles we ate and we pciked our way around everything else, trying most things, not eating enough of one thing to make us ill... or so we thought!!
When we returned to Daniel's lodge we sat around the bonfire, talking late into the night with the rest of the people we had met. Adam fell into our room at around 5am, made alot of noise and left again, after dropping every heavy item he owned and pushing my matress up with his feet from underneath!

Adam and Hannah (the hicking loving phsyco's) had already left the next morning when we woke, getting a free lift from an Indian man Adam had met the night before, whilst drunk and offering around Vallium.
We arrived for our bus early and sat around watching all the other westeners appear, most very bleary eyed. We left the Highlands down the same windy road in torrential rain (accompanied by thunder and lightening) which lasted for our entire journey.
Upon arrival in Kuala Lumpur the driver opened the boot and my bag fell out into a masive puddle! This was the start of a very bad evening! It was still raining heavily, so we both donned our waterproofs (already wet through) and put on our bags, which were 10times heavier as the boot had leaked and they and all our stuff were soaked!
Following the group into Chinatown we passed a Starbucks, and retreating in out of the rain, we sat on the plastic chairs deciding what to get as a treat! I left Sophie outside with all the bags and went in to order. During the short amount of time I was inside a crazy man came up behind Sophie and hit her with his shoe from behind, then threw the contense of his ashtray at her... whilst her back was turned his accomplice stole my phone!
I guess it could have been worse, they could have taken my whole bag... but it didnt help that we were discussing that very morning how the worse thing we feel someone could take would be our phones!!!
I can officially say that this was the worst day of travelling so far and I hope the worst in all! It was a very bad start to Kuala Lumpur!
Luckily everything afterwards went pretty smoothly and mum managed to sort out insurance and a new sim, enabling me to keep the same number!
Out for dinner, we received a text from the friends we had mat up with in Cambodia saying they had booked flights to NZ so they could spend time wiht us there! After our stressful and emotional day both burst into tears in the cafe and the waitresses thought we were mad!
That night I was really ill, which put a fantastic end to the worst day ever!

The next morning was spent talking to the police and trying to make them understand the complicated story of the stolen phone. We even got to go in a police car which was pretty exciting! To cheer ourselves up we went and did some shopping at central marktet, both buying many t-shirts which we now want to send home as we like them so much!
For drinks that evening we had arranged to meet Hannah and Adam at Traider's Hotel, which gave us an amazing view of the Patronus towers. Drinks were very expensive, and only Adam turned up as Hannah was ill, which was slightly awkward. We decided to go somewhere cheaper... so headed to Reggae Bar (whihc there are adverts for all around Chinatown and ironically where ever you are in Chinatown you are always only 10meters away from Reggae Bar!

We decided to head for somewhere recommended in the guidebook as serving good Western food - 'Cafe 1920' as a treat for brunch the next day... however it did not exist any longer so we ended up giving in to the smell of coffee wafting from Starbucks and return, our bags held tightly and sitting inside this time!
We spent the rest of the morning wandering around the Colonial District, not visiting the museum as it was closed.... obviously.
That afternoon we went shopping again! It was the first time we had seen Western shops in 2 months....!

On Saturday we travelled to Melaka, after returning to the cafe where we had cried, for breakfast! It is no surprise that they remembered us! Our bus to Melaka was short, however, we both needed the loo (always!) and the airconditioning constantly dripped onto my leg... I thnk I may actually have a curse where aircon is concerned!!!
The first Guesthouse we tried in Melaka, the owner wasnt there and so we waited around having lunch in a cafe full of Malay poeple having a celebratory lunch! We felt a bit like intruders! That GH turned out to be full so we walked to somewhere in more in the centre, where only their most expensive room was avaliable. We took it on the condition we could move to a cheaper room the next day. The rest of the day we spent wandering around the area and finding a fab little cafe for dinner 'Limau Limau', which was right in the middle of the night market! our room has a T.V. so on returning to our room, we were mesmorised by that for the rest of the evening!

Sunday was not like last Sunday where EVERTYHING was closed! Infact the town was pretty busy. After returning to 'Limau Limau' for breakfat was wandered around for about 4 hours! we passed the French supermarket 'Carrefour', which looked very out of place looming over the rest of the town! We soent ages wandering around the supermarket, trying all the taster foods and drinks as we passed! We bought tins of sweetcorn and yoghurts and ate them on a street corner, not caring that we looked like tramps and were being stared at by all passers by!
We wandered around the shops especially 'Jonker' which is everywhere, which had the most amazing shorts! I would have bought them however I am an XL in asian sizes as they are all so small and they didnt stock that size!!!
Again that evening we became obsessed by our T.V. again!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb