Penang - Day 2


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
June 9th 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Up early and got a taxi out to the Sri Arulmigu Balathandayuthapani Temple, an Indian Hindu temple. It was raining and the cabbie wasn’t sure where we wanted to go, so when he dropped us off at a temple outside of town in the pouring rain, we hoped it was the right place. The temple was actually closed, but a man let us in and walk around for a quick look. We left and walked down the road (in the rain) to the path going up the hillside to the temple we were actually looking for. By the time we got to the temple it was raining pretty hard, so we stood under the overhang until the rain subsided somewhat. We were entertained by a young monkey who was screaming because a dog was blocking his only way down from the roof. Eventually the dog wandered off, the monkey escaped, and the rain lightened, so we made our way back down and started to walk back to town. We passed the Ayira Vaisyar Sri Meenakshisundaresvarar Temple, but didn’t go in. Had lunch at Amandari, a restaurant specializing in Penang cuisine, which came highly recommended by the hotel. It was pretty good, but not excellent. After lunch we hit the Burmese Buddhist Temple and Wat Chaiyamangalaram, where the Reclining Buddha is located. Got a taxi out to the Kek Lok Si Temple, which is supposedly the largest Buddhist temple complex in Malaysia. The driver couldn’t take us all the way to the entrance and we had to walk halfway up the hill through the Air Hitam Market. We climbed the “Million Buddhas Precious Pagoda” and then rode the funicular up to the Kuan Yin statue at the top of the mountain. The view of Georgetown and the bay was quite impressive. Grabbed a taxi back to the hotel in time for drinks at the Traders Club and then went out to dinner. We walked around a little bit and stopped at a couple bars, including the Hong Kong Bar, a popular spot for foreign military personnel in town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th September 2006

hi guys
i love the picture by the dragon and rabbit. We miss you soo much guys!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb