Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
October 30th 2006
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We got a very sleek Hydro-jet from Honk Kong ferry terminal to Macau which took around an hour. Macau was a Portuguese colony handed back to the Chinese in 1999 and is ran like Hong Kong, as a Special Administrative Area i.e. Not really communist. Macau sells itself as the "Las Vegas of the Orient" and while thats is a bit of an overstatement it is full of major Casinos and 5 star hotels. Its mainly visited by incredibily wealthy Asian businessmen and believe it or not there is more money spent here on gambling than in Vegas.

History lesson over, we were operating on the other side of the budgetary coin and after getting from the ferry terminal to the city centre we checked into the Central hotel - Perhaps only rivalled by "Chungking Mansions in Hong Kong" in terms of dodgy places we have stayed on this trip. Once we got rid of our bags we headed to explore the city centre.

After a bite to eat we wandered through a few of the Casinos before settling in the Sands. This is apparently the biggest casino in the world in terms of gaming tables. As neither of us have a clue about gambling we stuck to what we knew and found the bar. The beer was cheap and we watched a hilariously bad caberet show performed by a troupe from Canada.

The next morning we dragged ouselves out of bed to do a bit of sightseeing. We visited a few of the city's parks, the city's old square - "Largo Do Senado" and climbed up the steps to "Guia Fortress" which had beautiful views of the city. That night we had a beautiful Cantonese style dinner on the main square. As it was a week day we had the entire staff of 15 at our service. Ciaran had the chicken which came complete with head and claws "Waste not, Want Not". We decided to get an early night to get the ferry back to Hong Kong the next day.

Next Stop Hong Kong again...


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Can You Spot The Head And Claws?Can You Spot The Head And Claws?
Can You Spot The Head And Claws?

Concentrate On Those Chopsticks!


21st November 2006

Ciaran, you are a winner on those chopsticks!!!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb