LAOS


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
January 4th 2010
Published: January 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

LAOSLAOSLAOS

Loas budhist monk...
Location: Huay Xai, Luang Nam Tha, Udomxai, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientiane, Paksan, Tha Khaek, Savannakhet, Pakse
Length of Stay: 12 Days
Cost per Day: $18


Laos by the way is pronounced as in 'how' and 'cow'... The 's' is silent and sometimes not even included.

Fantastic location... most especially if you are fond of outdoor pursuits such as trekking, hiking, cycling, rock climbing, cave exploring, white wafter rafting etc...
It is far from being a highly touristic location which I guess is what makes it so attractive... You wont find any full moon parties here...
I really picked up on the fact that Laos atttracted a completely different caliber of visitor to that of other countries visited so far... People who perhaps are a little more mature... those that shun the big cities and the crowds and those who like to get back to nature...
Laos is also what they call a landlocked country... this means that it is completely surrounded by land - their direct neighbours being China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Burma... therefore no oceans to surf nor beaches to laze around on...

If you are tired of the western treadmill and want to get back to basics for a few weeks then this might be the place to consider...
Laos currently sits under the banner of one of the "Least Developed Countries in the World". The Laos government has set itself the goal to pull itself out of this category by the year 2020... so best come before then... They say that Laos is the most relaxing country to travel through... it is certainly a very laid back kind of place... and very quiet... nothing much really happening...

Dont expect to get anywhere in a hurry... The transport system chugs along at a snails pace... I travelled 115km from Luang Nam Tha to Udomxai on a local bus and it took 4hrs and 10min...
The North is mountainous and the roads are windy, dusty and very bumpy due to being unsurfaced... in contrast, the South is very flat and the roads surfaced, so a bit more comfortable although the scenery of the North is much more beautiful...

The Lao people are absolutely lovely... extremely gentle and well mannered...
Still a few language barrier problems but seemed to get through it much easier than I did in Thailand...
The physical features of the Lao highland woman in particular where interesting... not typically Asian at all... Based on photos I have seen in the past, they reminded me more of Mongolian or Nepali woman... very dark, weathered skin with the rosiest cheeks...
The children I found to be especially bright... and most would almost always say hello...

Food was not so interesting here... Most people tend to live on noodles, noodles and more noodles along with sticky rice and accompanying meat/fish... Mind you with the strong cuisine cultures of their neighbours - Thailand, China and Vietnam... perhaps they are still trying to create their own identity in this area...

Ok, so its farewell to Laos and now on to Cambodia... x

P.S I had to tell you... the most absolutely horrid thing happened yesterday... After a lengthy bus journey, I collected my backpack from the bowels of the bus and discovered via my nose that someones bottle of fish sauce had thoroughly saturated a part of my pack... awful, awful, awful...I love fish sauce in cooking but thats about it... the smell was vile, especially with the heat of the sun and completely not funny for those having a little giggle 😊... I did my best to wash the "contaminated area" with soap and water and have doused my pack in Chanel No 5... but am definately going to have to get my bag properly scrubbed pronto via a laundry... This is where a pack cover would have come in handy... I must get one... The joys...




Additional photos below
Photos: 159, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

LAOSLAOS
LAOS

beautiful silks... I noticed alot of mothers and daughters over here looking at the silk for potential wedding gowns...
LAOSLAOS
LAOS

and not necessarily just the solid colours...


9th January 2010

Hi
How beautiful! Cannot wait to read (and see) the next installment.
22nd January 2010

Fab pic's Nic....x

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb