CAMBODIA


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
January 23rd 2010
Published: January 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Location: Stung Treng, Kratie, Kampong Cham, Kampong Thom, Siep Riem, Sisophon, Battambang, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Kampot
Length of Stay: 20 Days
Cost per Day: $19

I remember hearing the name Kampuchea as a young girl.. now more commonly known as Cambodia...
What an absolutely fascinating country... the culture, the history, the visuals, the people, the food... I have been completely captivated every minute that I have been here...

While Thailand was all about the food, and Laos all about the outdoors... for me, Cambodia has been all about the people... I know every blog I say the people are lovely... but truly, the Khmers as they are normally referred to... are without a doubt the friendliest I have come across in Asia thus far... Their genuine warmth and hospitality will completely surprise you... and their command of the English language is excellent, so you wont have any problems communicating with anyone... anywhere...
In Siem Reap in particular, it was very normal to see people sitting by the river, english book in hand, quietly doing some self-study... or you might walk past a place of business and mom and dad are sitting there teaching their children a few words...
CAMBODIACAMBODIACAMBODIA

Angkor...

The ancient city of Angkor... wow... words of the English language cannot possibly convey what an incredible place this is, so I wont even try... listed as one of the top 10 man made wonders of the world... it will truly take your breath away...

Accommodation has been exceptionally good in Cambodia... Guesthouses has been the norm... For around $6 on average, you will get a motel style room with an internal bathroom... extra treats like toiletries, bottles of water and cable tv were unexpected surprises...
I even received daily room service in some places...

Managing your money here in Cambodia will most definately give you a good mental workout as both the Cambodian Riel and the US $ are in full use... and in some areas, you will find the Thai Baht as well... you can purchase an item using US$, but receive your change in Riel or both... so its important to know exactly what the various exchange rates rates are...

All in all... have thoroughly enjoyed my few weeks here in Cambodia and highly recommend...
Vietnam next which I am very much looking forward to... x



Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Angkor...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Angkor...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Angkor...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Angkor...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Angkor...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Angkor...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Angkor...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Angkor...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Angkor...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Deep fried crickets...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

Deep fried baby frogs...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

BBQ quail...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

a bit creepy...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

fresh eel...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

fresh fish...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

thru the bus window...
CAMBODIACAMBODIA
CAMBODIA

I love all these old cars...


23rd January 2010

You show me yours and I'll show ye mine...
Angkor Wat looks awesome Nic......Keep up the good work with the photos.....x
24th January 2010

Hello
Beautiful, Nic. Definately down on my list of place to see. What a great review. Any chance of a Cambodian recipe? In my head, I am planning a trip already. It sounds like you are having a great time. Wish I was there too. Can't wait to see your pictures of Vietnam!!

Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb