All Dylan's Fault (he kidnapped me and Lizzie)


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
April 1st 2006
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Anybody and Everybody who is reading this wit... this clasic,

I hope you and yours are all in the very best of health. I am currently suffering from various ailments, though am in reasonable high spirits considering. Indeed at the moment I'm reasonably confident that I am curently in the recovery stage of my various illnesses.

If you are the sort of reader that occasionally fears for my safety you probably shouldn't read on....

Some time ago now we were in the merry backpacker hub that is Luang Prabang (those of you who read my last blog may well remember the place) enjoying its delights. We went to the cinema, relaxed in JoMa's, the western style cafe, and talked with various travelling companions - cue a mention for Amy and Lawrence, two interesting and amusing post graduates. However, regretfully myself and Liz allowed Dylan some free time, out of the caring view of his two carers. Not a moment sooner than when we had looked away had he struck up a relationship with a shifty character named Nung 'evil Loation fellow' Sai. Soon enough after this meeting we were in this fellows village, discovering that considerable amount had been stolen! (at this point you should all exclaim or advertise some sexpression of shock, horror or what have you). No worries my dearest friends, on discovering this problem I swiftly went down to the beach and hailed a passing boat, plotting out our daring escape. After quick discussion we paid a sum of $40 to a passing fisherman and set sail into the night, heading for what seemed the distant town of Nong Kia. Regretably it soon appeared that this town was indeed distant and after what after hours of hair raising navigation up stream through the inky black night we arrived. At this point I should say that it was particularly comforting to find some of our earlier companions, Ed the American Pirate as well as Gunner (male) and Christine (female), two fun Canadian Nurses who apparently were just "good friends".



If you are thinking that our decision to go to an utter strangers village a little foolish, then fair play to you. However, please remember certain facts. Firstly, we are used to the incredible hostpitality of the Thais as well as their trustworthiness. Secondly, if you don't take risks, you'll rarely get somthing back. Thirdly, we didn't confront the evil villagers feeling that they may well do a little murdering as well as steeling if provoked.

Now moving on...

After this little jaunt we went North before returning to Luang Prabang (one chilled place if your ever in South East Asia - though the bars do close at 11.30pm) before going South to the capital, Vientiane. Vientiane is a nice capital as, while being cosmoplitan by Laotion standers, it is cleanner and less bustling than other capitals. Further more, because of it cosmopolitan nature one is reassured to see Laotians eating in the same restuarants as the Westerners, and as its the capital it is less geared to ripping off backpackers.

Soon getting on a bus to go down to Pakse, an apparently not so cool town, and regretfully missing quite a lot on the way (really should look at the route before buying the ticket).... but you live and learn.

Sorry about the lack of pictures,

Christian/Macca

Ps if you want a more detailed and truer version of our robbing go and see Dylans Blog.



Advertisement



4th April 2006

photos
you need to get soem photos on here mate! otherwise cool blog tho'. keep it up!
9th April 2006

Despite worrying content bearing in mind I am Lizzies mother! You still seem to be having an amazing time and experiences. Keep safe and together

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb