To tube or not to tube...


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
October 17th 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After what seemed like forever on a public bus with another group and a very arrogant what we think was a German guy... a spot of travel sickness and a lot of reading on Matt's part we reached the somewhat sleepy town of Vang Vieng.
We checked in and were assigned a room in what looked like little holiday chalets opposite the main reception.. perhaps to stifle the disturbance after the late nights in what we soon discovered wasn't such a sleepy town!!
My favourite discovery here happened to be chocolate and banana pancakes cooked at the little street vendors around the main street-heaven in a polystyrene plate!! Pretty reserved evening before our busy day the following one!!

Tubing.. is a popular activity in this partivular part of Laos.. a real backpacker driving force and a huge amount of fun. We had a guide in a kayak but most people just hire a tube and get going.. basically you hop in a glorified rubber ring.. jump in the river and go on your way.
The river is littered with bars, men with ropes and sticks just waiting to haul you in for a beer or two and to hurl yourselves off various rope swings, zip lines and a deadly tyre slide...!!

Random fun for everyone but the death-slide caused more than a few aches and pains due to the inability to control how or when you land.. and most definately nowhere near the ring you started out on at the top. (i had bruises appearing for the following couple of days in places i didn't even think had hit the water!!!
The bobbing along itself was very relaxing and the general atmosphere and scenery are very pretty. Though punctuated by party music and several refreshments and jumping off things the day in general was pretty relaxing.
Many mini-challenges emerged among the ever-competitive boys such as standing on your moving rubber ring on the river, racing kayaks and so on-very amusing to watch!

later that night a short meal and i stuggled to bed to nurse my wounded shoulder while matt discovered the highlights of the local BUCKET bar-- drinks served in buckets.. you can imagine the carnage!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb