on to pastures new..and religions newer!!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
October 19th 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

A recovery day and some relaxing of the aching muscles and bones was much needed follwoing the tubing excitement, and a meander down to chill at a bucket bar in a hammock was just what the doctor ordered.
The following day we deprated on our last long bus journey to Luang Prabang, another relatively long journey but also equally un-eventful-roads are much quieter here so less funny sights to spot!

Luang Prabang is much busier than Vang vieng but still nothing too overwhelming. The night market is a really lovely market all set on the floor on one long line, its really colourful and quiet and you don't get mobbed every time you stop to look at things which makes shopping a much pleasenter experience than elsewhere!!

We had a really nice meal and then explored the marjket before heading to bed pretty early- travelling somehow makes us tried as hell!!

Day one in Luang Prabang we headed out pretty early for an orientation walk around town to the morning food market (very smelly!), a couple of temples and the river. We were lucky enough to be able to go and give offerings in one of the temples and were blessed by a 92 year old monk for health, good luck, happiness, safe travels and wealth. It was a very starnge experience but really good and such a great and unique memory although everyone was a little nervous and intimidated when we were actually in there!!

After a spot of lunch we piled into a couple of jumbos and headced to the beautiful waterfalls about 40 mins out of town.. after a few photo stops there was nothing for it but plunging into the freezing water as quickly as possible.. once you got in it was pretty refreshing and your limbs stayed vaguley warm if you kept moving so most of us buisied ourselves swimming against the current of the falls.

Unusually at the bottom of the falls park there is a bear rescue sanctuary with several bears in it so we stayed and watched them for a while which ws very entertaining and they are very cute! The bears are rescued from the black market, smugglers and people who buy them for entertainment etc so its a really good cause, there used to be a tiger place there too but the last and the first tiger who lived there died earlier this year which is a shame.

once again something we didn't quite expect to see and do but a great one to add to the collection!!

the evening made host to bowling challege number two where matt regained some of his victory by beating me in one of the games.. im still ahead though..JUST!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb