Hello from Tokyo!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
August 27th 2013
Published: August 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We left Villa Anyar on Monday morning, but not before another plate of Kadek's nasi goreng and a final swim in the pool. The flight to Singapore was uneventful and we got back to Gallop Road around 5pm. Supper at Relish restaurant before saying our goodbyes to Andy and Anna-Marie, and an early night. Our flight to Tokyo left Singapore at 5:15am which meant a 3:15am taxi and not enough sleep!

We arrived at Tokyo Narita about 6 1/2 hours later to face the 90 minute bus ride to our hotel. Not as quick as we'd have liked but it was painless. The first highlight for the kids at the hotel was undoubtedly the fancy toilet with electric buttons on the side for a bottom wash etc. The video of Ben trying it is priceless!

Tonight we walked to an area of Yakitori - a type of small street food vendor/restaurant. We intended to eat there but realized that we would have no way to communicate with the vendors! The menus were all in Japanese and we didn't feel ready to point to other people's meals. We wished Keita was with us to translate. After more walking we decided to just walk into a restaurant and roll the dice. When the waitress said "hello" and handed us a menu in English things perked up.

After dinner we walked to a very tall government building that has a public observation deck on the 45th floor. Certainly not the tallest building in Tokyo but a great view of the lights all the same.

Tomorrow is our only full day in Tokyo and, more sadly, the last full day of our epic vacation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement




27th August 2013

A journey comes to an end....
hello world travelers - sad to hear that the adventure is almost over. you have provided a much needed escape as I try and get all this work done. enjoy your last bit of vacation - and know that these memories will last a lifetime. you and sand are one cool set of parents. i hope ben and carys realize that. i hope you have smooth travels back to steamy minnesota. ps - oh i remember those fancy loo's in tokyo! i just loved the ones with sounds.
28th August 2013

Thanks Deb. This has been the trip of a lifetime, and I think the kids know it too. Mostly because we keep reminding them that this isn't normal! Although none of us want the fun to end, I think that we're starting to feel ready for our own beds in our own home.

Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb