Biking with trucks..and cars and children...and..


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
October 26th 2011
Published: October 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tama River, near where we had lunchTama River, near where we had lunchTama River, near where we had lunch

Matt is on a rock near the middle.
Today was going to be an easy day after our mountain ride yesterday....but the really easy ride and hike Matt proposed sounded much too easy, so I asked to add to the itinerary...

We started out with a ride to the river and then a hike on trail to a shrine on the top of a small mountain. After we hiked down, we wandered around the exterior of a museum that had some older buildings near it. Then Matt took us on a short cut that involved carrying our bikes down a trail, crossing part of the river on foot, and biking through some mud. We came out at a golf course below the shrine, and headed out through the city, up the Tama River.

We were on a busy road for most of the ride: you can ride on sidewalks here, but you need to dodge pedestrians, other bicyclists, and signposts. Also, the sidewalk often becomes very narrow, with a wall or bushes on one side, and the curb on the other with dump trucks zooming by. Not a lot of fun at times...!

After an hour or so, we were close to the mountain we had ridden up yesterday...and we came to the restaurant that where we were to eat lunch, and fighting the taffic became all worth it!

The restaurant is on the river, where it has become wilder and deeper. The seating is outside, and you buy tickets from a machine for the items you want, and give them to the women at the counter, who then prepare the food, It was delicious, especially the tofu....

We hiked along the river after lunch, and went to the Buddhist temple above the river.

The ride back was easier, but Bill fell again, catching his tire crossing a driveway. He had a flat, but Matt quickly fixed it and we were back on our way... We got home around 5:00pm...a total time of about 6 hours out...and about 40 miles of riding...!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The  Shinto Shrine at the top...The  Shinto Shrine at the top...
The Shinto Shrine at the top...

There has been shrine here for longer than has been recorded. This one dates from 1870 and was rebuilt in 1970.
Lunch!Lunch!
Lunch!

Best tofu ever...!


27th October 2011

Wonderous World
I easily fall into your written descriptions w/ the fotos and thank you for this wee bit of voyerism. Complete w/ Bill's wound, My-My! L

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb