Meeting my new niece


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
October 6th 2018
Published: October 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After an almost nine hour flight, we arrived at Haneda Airport, in Tokyo, where my brother Matt met us...We had a slight adventure driving home when a major expressway entrance was closed and we wandered for a bit through narrow side roads!

Matt and Dianne just moved into their new home last week, but are still graciously hosting us! I finally got to meet my newest niece, Madelyn, Friday morning. She is almost one, and so very cute...

On Friday morning, we walked around the small town of Baigo, part of Ome, where my brother and his family now live. The Tama River flows in the valley below, and there are mountains all around...

In the afternoon, Bill and I went with Dianne and Madelyn to a community center in Ome, where there is a baby room, staffed by volunteers (generally retired teachers and nurses) seven day a week. The program is free, and offers support to new families. There are these centers all over Japan!

On Saturday, Matt planned an "easy" mountain hike for us. We would start from the house, walk to the trail head, hike to an overlook, and then hike back down into Ome, where we would have lunch. The hike wasn't exactly easy (over 6 miles), but the view was beautiful, and lunch was delicious! Madelyn napped and woke, loving being in the forest! She was in the backpack for over four hours and was happy all the while!

The trail wound through second or third growth forest of mostly cypress and cedar. The recent typhoon had uprooted some trees and covered the trail with tree branches and leaves.

The restaurant where we had lunch was hosting a display of handwoven fabrics and there were some beautiful pieces, but no photos were allowed. One woman had made an exquisite umbrella from her hand woven and dyed fabrics.

Tomorrow Bill and I leave by train for Kyoto, where we'll stay for 4 nights, visiting the shrines and taking side trips.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sliding screens in our roomSliding screens in our room
Sliding screens in our room

It is a tatami room, with the traditional woven mats. They smell so good, like a hay field in the sun!
Baby class at the community centerBaby class at the community center
Baby class at the community center

These wonderful baby rooms are open seven days a week, and staffed by volunteers who are retired teachers or nurses. The program is free!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb