Ah, back on a bike!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Tachikawa
October 24th 2011
Published: October 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Kitsune, or Fox ShrineKitsune, or Fox ShrineKitsune, or Fox Shrine

Kitsune are associated with Inari, the Shinto deity of rice. Foxes are an important element of Japanese mythology, often taking the shape of a woman. There were good and bad types of supernatural foxes. The foxes here would be the good ones.
We rented our bikes from Matt's shop today, and headed off on our own to the Tama River Trail. The biggest problem is remembering that one drives/rides on the left here! The intersections are the hardest for me...I look each way about five times, it seems!

The trail is fantastic: well paved, wide, flat....and it follows close to the river through parks and more wild areas. There are walkers, joggers, and cyclists of all ages. Along the edge of the trail are residential and manufacturing areas, along with a few small farms. We rode about 13 kilometers towards downtown and then back. It was so good to be able to cover longer distances and not have sore feet/knees, as I do when I walk now....

One the way back, we visited a Shinto temple with the oldest wooden building in Fussa (Matt's town), build in 1587, and renovated in 1671! We also bought some gifts at the 100 yen store....

We got back in time to let Justin into the apartment, after he walked home from school.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Boys in the riverBoys in the river
Boys in the river

They are trying to catch something with a net...the water is quite clean....
Very large apartment building!Very large apartment building!
Very large apartment building!

There is the usual Japanese mix of apartments, houses, parks, factories (Nissan, gravel, water treatment), and schools along the river.
Drink break....always a machine when you need it!Drink break....always a machine when you need it!
Drink break....always a machine when you need it!

You can get both hot and cold drinks...about $1.50...
Small field by the riverSmall field by the river
Small field by the river

Notice how even and precise the footprints and tilled lines are!
Tama River, heading backTama River, heading back
Tama River, heading back

The bridge is painted lavendar....
The Kumagawa Shinto TempleThe Kumagawa Shinto Temple
The Kumagawa Shinto Temple

This is the oldest wooden building in Fussa.


27th October 2011
My ride

My ride
Who but our Lynne would be riding an entire day in pearls

Tot: 0.544s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 34; qc: 115; dbt: 0.2004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb