And We're Off


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku
March 1st 2006
Published: March 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

What the hell is this?What the hell is this?What the hell is this?

These are images from the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo.
We got into Tokyo yesterday and checked in to our deluxe accomodations. The place actually is not too bad and hard to beat for the price. The one thing about Tokyo is that it isn t cheap. The prices are similar to the US but when you are ballin' on a budget it seems a bit steep. Either way, we turned in early last night after our 14 hour journey and woke up bright and early at 5am in order to catch the action at the Tsukiji Fish Market. It is a huge warehouse that supplies 90% of the fish to restaurants, stores, etc. in Tokyo. Fish comes in from all over the world and ends up here. It is pretty amazing. We will hopefully have some pictures posted before too long because it is something you have to see to understand.

After watching the guys chop the heads off of living fish, seeing the shrimp still flopping around in the water they were kept in, and discovering new types of seafood we did not know existed, we decided to sit down and eat a little at one of the local sushi restaurants right next to the market. It was freaking amazing and quite delicious. I have never had sushi for breakast before but it was so good that we are going to another spot with sushi on a conveyor belt for breakfast tomorrow morning.

After that it was off to explore. We saw the International Forum, which is neither international or a forum so pretty disappointing. We then stumbled upon a tourist info center and picked up some info. This proved to be our best decision. After that it was off to a Travel Agency to book our train to Kobe for tomorrow and our ferry ride to Shanghai the next day.

Once our business was settled, we went to downtown Tokyo, which Teresa says reminded her a lot of NYC. Huge buildings, tons of activity, nice shops, tons of different restaurants, etc. were the norm. After taking it all in, we headed toward the Tokyo National Museum. On the way, we walked through Ueno Park, which turned out to be amazing. We saw a memorial to the dropping of the A bombs, which was naturally pretty disturbing but also important and we were glad we saw it. After that, we checked out the Ueno Tosugu (I
Fish artFish artFish art

Teresa's attempt at an artful picture at the smelly fish market.
may be butchering these words completely but I am going on memory) which is a shrine in the middle of the park. It was also very cool.

Next stop was the museum. We stayed for a while but by this time we had been on our feet and exploring for a good 12 hours so we decided to head back.

After getting back to our neck of the woods, we stopped in for some Sobu Noodles and then off to another locale for some Tempura. Both places were highly recommended by a guy who helped us out in finding different spots, so we figured, why not try both? It is great to travel with Teresa because we just get one thing, share it, and then if we want to, go eat something else. Works out pretty well.

Now, we are back at the hostel, exhausted and ready to go to bed. The internal clock is still way out of whack but otherwise, we are doing well.

Overall thoughts are that Tokyo is a great place. The weather has been dreary but the attitudes and kindness of the people have definitely brightened things. From the workers at the subway station who smile and help us out when we can't figure out which damned train to get on to the guy at the restaurant who bought us an appetizer and told us to enjoy Tokyo, we've really enjoyed meeting different folks here. Even though we don t speak a word of Japanese we've managed to find our way around and have quickly found the help we needed.

I'm hopeful that we continue to find such kindness and I would say we may make our way back here sometime down the line, though we'll definitely have to pack some more cash next time.

For now, we are off to Kobe and then into China. May be a bit before we get to a computer but we'll update ASAP. Until then....


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Sushi BreakfastSushi Breakfast
Sushi Breakfast

The freshest sushi we've ever had!
Teresa's first train rideTeresa's first train ride
Teresa's first train ride

It's on the Shinkasen no less! This is the train from Tokyo to Kobe.
SAKE!!!SAKE!!!
SAKE!!!

This is the sake place in Kobe where we tried a bunch and ended up getting one from a vat that was just made.


4th March 2006

So Ronery
Hey guys, got your message before you left. tried to call you back but to no avail. Tokyo sounds amazing. I hope all is well and be safe. See you in Italy. love you both james
31st March 2006

Caught up on the travel blog
This is so great to see you all having all this fun.....has anyone planned to join you yet? OOOOh so tempting but cash flow ugh. Keep having fun. Maybe you will run across the Amazing Race crew they started this season out of Red Rocks CO....
1st April 2006

sushi for breakfast!!!
How awesome is that?!? Love the pictures and it's great to hear that the locals are so friendly and helpful...love the pictures ....can't wait to see them all when you get back. Love you guys!!! Shelley
7th April 2006

Something Fishy
Nothing like the smell of a fish market! Yum!!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb