I LOVE Tokyo!!!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shibuya
December 7th 2006
Published: December 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post


First Bar in TokyoFirst Bar in TokyoFirst Bar in Tokyo

Ryan with his new friends, Mary's coworkers.
Tokyo is an amazing city!! It was a whirlwind 2 days spent here but we had a fantastic time!! We definately liked the vibe that Tokyo gave off. It seems to be a city with such life and energy. For me it had a that big city feel like I got while living in London. We took the bullet train from Osaka on Friday afternoon and arrived three hours later at Tokyo Station which is easily the biggest and busiest train station I have ever seen. It was chaos!! But we managed to make our way to where we needed to be ( with the help of a nice Japanese man ). We met up at a tiny little Irish Pub with Lisa's friend Mary Fish. We spent a few hours there with Mary and some of her workmates. I was so happy to drink several pints of Guinness and not pay $12 for them ( like Seoul). We planned on going out to the clubs that night but our better judgement told us that if we were going to do some sightseeing the next day that we should call it a night. On Saturday we got up, took out the lonely planet book and picked what we were to do that day. We decided that we would go check out the largest Buddhist Temple in Tokyo called Sensoji Temple. The walk from the subway to the temple was one of the bigger tourist traps i've seen in my travels, but it was kind of fun buying a few little souveneirs. The temple itself was impressive, particularly the five storied pagoda. Unfortunately our camera vatteries died about 10 minutes into being there so we did not get many good pictures. After spending a good portion of the day here we headed for the world famous Shibuya fashion district. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Lisa's eyes light up like they did here. It was a pretty fabulous place. The Japanese are very stylish people. After doing some shopping and walking around it was time to go back to Mary's place to get ready for the night. We headed to Roppongi Hills which is the major bar/clubbing district in Tokyo. We met up with a few of Mary's friends at a pub for a few hours, then we made our way to sing some Karaoke ( which i'm sure if you watch the videos will always make you laugh or cry). This Karaoke place was nice and it was all you can drink so by the time we left there ( about 1 am) we were feeling pretty good. Mary, Lisa and I set off to find a club that was recommended to me by a friend. We did not end up finding it but we did find 3 Kiwi lads who we had a blast with that night. They were proffessional rugby players and they knew there way around the clubs in Tokyo. We hit up a few bars before going to a cool dance club where we danced until 7:30 in the morning. After some McDonald breakfast and a few hours of sleep we dragged ourselves out of bed to go to see the Harajuku girls. It was defiantely interesting to see these Goth/ freaky dressed girls being photgraphed by all the tourists. It was kind of cold and rainy out that day so apparently we didn't really get to see the "good" Harajuku girls. We took a cruise through this really beautiful park in Harajuku. It was alive with live music, people playing soccer and frisbee, THe Rockabilly's and peole just having a good time. This marked the end of our fun filled 2 days in Tokyo. We will definately be going back to Tokyo. We had an awesome time!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Temple 3Temple 3
Temple 3

Cleansing ourselves before we enter the temple.
Temple 4Temple 4
Temple 4

Putting smoke over us
Temple 5Temple 5
Temple 5

Inside one of the temples
ShabuyaShabuya
Shabuya

Hot Fashion District!! Loved it!


15th December 2006

This place looks super cool too!! I want to go shopping there! Did the Harajuku girls mind if you took there pictures?? And what about the free hugs, did you get one??

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb