Tokyo Subway Adventure


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Minato
March 31st 2023
Published: March 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Blog 4_Japan_2023



March 24 Weather – the fog & storm clouds have parted giving us a partly sunny morning: Forecast is an 80% chance of rain: Temperature high of 21°C.



Our body clocks seem to be re-adjusting and as a result we had a relaxing sleep even though we awoke early again this morning.



Today we decided to tackle the overhead train and subway system and head off to the inner regions of Tokyo. There is a station for the overhead train system connected to the hotel so that part was easy; the bigger challenge came with the transfer at the final station on this line to one of the multiple branches of the Tokyo subway. Our destination was Asakusa Temple and grounds. This is one of Tokyo’s oldest and most colourful Buddhist Temple, dating back to 645 CE.



Tried some street food – a pulled pork with onions dumpling. The dumpling had a very soft & doughy texture.



The street leading to the shrine’s main gate was lined with vendors offering everything imaginable for the pilgrims. As expected, it was very crowded but there was no pushing or shoving, everything was very respectful, and we felt safe.



Explored the grounds and examined all the buildings and statues and we did a fair amount of people watching. Many families were there and some of them opted to dress in traditional clothes. Some of the vendors were renting kimonos so I suspect that is where the young ladies picked up their clothing.



The actual temple is an impressive structure, with an imposing front entrance. We entered and paid our respects and even lit a prayer candle. Interesting to see how other religious practices parallel some of ours.



After our visit we made our way back to the subway station and found the right line to take us back to the overhead train connection and that is where we got our directions screwed up. While signs are in multiple languages, Japanese, English, and Korean being the principal ones, the direction arrows are not as distinct leading to a high level of confusion. We finally figured it out and got on the right train back to our hotel. Interestingly the overhead train system is totally automated – no driver onboard – at least no one I could see in where the driver’s seat would be.



Received a confirmation from the limo company for our trip down to Yokohama had been accepted so that leg of the journey is now covered.



Went for dinner in the hotel – trying out all their restaurants. Prices are higher than we are used to, but that is to be expected as the hotel is a bit isolated from the rest of the city & they have a captive audience. Plus, we chose not to eat at the nearby Macdonald’s!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb