Sefa-utaki


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa » Camp Kinser
November 11th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: My Awesome Hood 10 secs

Sefa-utaki



It rained today and the seas were rather rough...no diving. Instead, I spent most of my day cleaning my room, watching movies, doing laundry, and playing video games. Very productive, I know. By 3 PM I started getting really restless so I decided to head out to Sefa-utaki, a sacred site for Rikyu Shinto (Okinawa's indigenous religion based on animalism). Although I wasn't very interested in learning about some silly religion where animals are worshipped, I did want to get out and see some of the cultural aspects of Okinawa. Even with the heavy rain, the drive was very nice as it went through the countryside and along the coast. Edwin came along for the adventure. The drive took about 1 hour and 45minutes. By the time we reached Sefa Utaki, we only had 30 minutes to tour the site. This was plenty of time. Although it was raining while we were there, the dense vegetation around the site kept us rather dry. An added bonus from the rain was the fact that we were the only two tourists there so we were able to see everything.

Below is the information that I read off of diagrams at Sefa Utaki:

Sefa-utaki
The term utaki generally refers to sacred placed located throughout Japan's southwest islands including Amami, Miyako, and Yaemyama Islands. Sefa-utaki was regarded as extremely holy and had strong ties with the official religious organization established by the Ryukyu Kingdom government during its era. As the name Sefa (a place holding divine power) defines, the area surrounded by huge rocks and sacred tree shelters ceremonial altars named alike for rooms in Shuri-jo and represents the close relationship it had with the royal government. The inauguration and special deifying rituals of Ryukyu's highest ranking priestess, Kikoe Ogimi, at this site prove that Sefa-utaki provided royal authority both religious and mental support. Even now, this sacred site attracts many worshippers who continue the customary and sacred Agaiumaai pilgrimage.

Ujuoguchi
This enterance of Sefa-Utaki applies to a shrine's hall of worship. Worshipped as the most sacred of the Ryukyus, entry at this utaki was limited solely to the royal government. Incense burners representing the six altars in this utaki were placed on the right for others to pray from the outside.

Ufuguui
The second floor of the Shuri-jo sedan (main hall) houses an area where ritual functions were held. This area was called Ufuguui and entry was extremely limited. This area was Sefa-utaki deserves this name because of the sacred inauguration and deifying rituals of priestesses held at the utaki. At the area where the stone tiles are laid, priestesses blessed the the highest-ranking priestess, Kikoe Ogimi, and prayed for the prosperity of the Ryukyu Kingdom.

Traingle-Shaped Opening
Many altars exists in this area surrounded by natural rocks and openings. Entering the traingle-shaped opening, you'll see the sanguui (the altar) in front and on the right lies the chonohana (altar), names also existing at Shuri-jo. On the left is a spectatular view of Kudaka Island and the Pacific Ocean. On the right side of the triangle-shaped opening, you'll see an area called the kifujinsama oyasumidokoro and two stalactites. Water dripping from these stalactites fell into pots placed below and was considered holy. The holy water was used to foretell the fortunes of Kikoe Ogimi (highest ranking priestess) and Nakagusuku Udun (king's son) as well as an offering during rituals held on New Years Day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Kim at Sefa-utakiKim at Sefa-utaki
Kim at Sefa-utaki

Outlooking onto the Pacific Ocean


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb