kumamoto sightseeing and general rambling


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kumamoto
November 14th 2007
Published: November 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

after a fun day of shopping in fukuoka on saturday, we set off to do some more sightseeing on sunday...

we took the train to kumamoto and visited kumamoto castle, which is said to be one of the top 3 castles in japan... (the japanese love their list of 'top 3' things!) this year, the castle celebrates its 400th year!
we also strolled around the beautiful suzenji garden which is a great photo opportunity for traditional japanese scenery! the park contains a lake with huge coy carp, a small temple, sculptured trees and even a mini 'Mt Fuji'! we saw some really cute kids there who were all dressed up for a family wedding.

mum and dad flew back home on tuesday and when i spoke to them yesterday they said they are already complaining about things in england saying 'oh this isn't how they do it in japan'!

it's been a busy week so far! hip hop on monday was great fun as always and there seem to be more and more local people joining now! yesterday, i went to lizzie's house for a nabe party... i had no idea what this was really so 'googled' it and hoped it didn't involve naked people in a hot bath! luckily, it turned out to be a cooking party - yeah! we had to buy different meats and veggies and cook them in a hot pot in a chicken flavoured broth - it's particularly common for the japanese to eat nabe in the winter to keep them warm. the party was fun and it was great to meet some more lovely people who live in, or near, Saga.

the weather at the moment is perfect - a lovely cold breeze but always beautiful sunshine... the teachers at my school seem to be particularly sensitive to any variation in temperature and dress like they are going for a hike in the antarctic... they look at me and shiver when i walk past in my short sleeved jumpers!

i'm going to make a start on christmas shopping in fukuoka this weekend and laura and i are contemplating whether or not to brave an onsen... i really want to try an outdoor pool before it gets too cold! i think i might buy us some small towels as you are allowed to take a face towel in to the pool area... when mum and dad were on a tour and were told this information, someone asked which part of the body you could cover with such a small towel and the tour guide said 'your face... to hide your embarrassment!' haha, love it!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



15th November 2007

Love the children they look so cute.Sounds like your mum and dad will be visiting again soon.Iwish my garden looked as good as that one.The trees and grasses,you couldnt dig some up for forest school could you.Trace and Helen would be pleased.Bye for now.x
17th November 2007

Hey we have 6 fruit trees now about 6ft high but sandras right those trees would be lovely. we had our staff social, we were thinking of the hot tub idea but settled for the pub and bar skittles. of course the team i was in won and if any it was a one tries to tell you different don't listen they are just jealous.it was a good night. the kids are lovely i could just see you adopting one then you won't get stretch marks and droopy bits. Love helen

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb