Background: In 1603, a Tokugawa shogunate (military dictatorship) ushered in a long period of isolation from foreign influence in order to secure its power. For 250 years this policy enabled Japan to enjoy stability and a flowering of its indigenous culture. Following the Treaty of Kanagawa with the United States in 1854, Japan opened its ports and began to intensively modernize and industrialize. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Japan became a regional power that was able to defeat the forces of both China and Russia. It occupied Korea, Formosa (Taiwan), and southern Sakhalin Island. In 1933 Japan occupied Manchuria and in 1937 it launched a full-scale invasion of China. Japan attacked US forces in 1941 - triggering America's entry into World War II - and soon occupied much of East and Southeast Asia. After its defeat in World War II, Japan recovered to become an economic power and a staunch ally of the US. While the emperor retains his throne as a symbol of national unity, actual power rests in networks of powerful politicians, bureaucrats, and business executives. The economy experienced a major slowdown starting in the 1990s following three decades of unprecedented growth, but Japan still remains a major economic power, both in Asia and globally. In 2005, Japan began a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Photos from Nishinomiya
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Nishinomiya
Latest Blogs from Nishinomiya
- April 3rd 2009 Cherry Blossom- Early Days
by Words: 226 Photos: 24
- January 25th 2008 I had WHALE for lunch, how bout you?
by Words: 292 Photos: 1
- October 11th 2007 Tigers Roaring
by Words: 448 Photos: 12
- November 1st 2006 November
by Words: 5 Photos: 61
- October 1st 2006 October
by Words: 1 Photos: 75
- July 15th 2006 Volleyball
by Words: 263 Photos: 16
- July 15th 2006 Graduation ceremony
by Words: 1 Photos: 22
- July 12th 2006 End of exam Party
by Words: 1 Photos: 34
- July 1st 2006 BBQ day
by Words: 1 Photos: 15
- June 19th 2006 Finally.. an update..
by Words: 756 Photos: 2
- June 19th 2006 Coffe Hour (mochitsuki)
by Words: 1 Photos: 15
- June 17th 2006 World Cup Fever
by Words: 3 Photos: 31
- June 1st 2006 Midterms
by Words: 561 Photos: 0
- June 1st 2006 Uegahara Rugby Club - Camp in Nose
by Words: 2 Photos: 13
- June 1st 2006 Good times at Kangaku
by Words: 2 Photos: 38
- May 19th 2006 Karaoke
by Words: 3 Photos: 9
- May 15th 2006 1000 words.. no picture..
by Words: 1610 Photos: 0
- May 9th 2006 More Pics... No Words...
by Words: 27 Photos: 5
- May 8th 2006 Just Pictures...
by Words: 31 Photos: 7
- April 28th 2006 Baseball at Koshien
by Words: 2 Photos: 22