Peace


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
May 1st 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

For the GrandparentsFor the GrandparentsFor the Grandparents

We're still alive and healthy. Not too skinny.
Hiroshima, the capital of Hiroshima Prefecture, is a fairly large city of 1 million and is home to the Carps (Hiroshima's Pro Baseball Team). Hiroshima is a city famous for being the first populated city ever hit by an Atomic Bomb. On Augast 6th 1945, US forces dropped the bomb which killed over 200,000 civilians. Becuase of this devastation Hiroshima has become a city known for its promotion of peace.

We awoke early in the morning and headed to our first sight which would be the Hiroshima Castle. Built in 1589 and then rebuilt in 1958 (becuase of being destroyed by the A-Bomb) the Hiroshima Castle is a beautiful construction of concrete, wood and oriental style roofs. Surrounded by trees and large mote this picturesque castle is a great viewing point of he entire city if your willing to make the 6 flight climb to the top.

Our next stop was the A Dome, one of very few buildings to remain standing in the 900 meter zone that was most affected by the A Bomb. Looking at the building you can only imagine the horror and destruction that the bomb produced, but at the same time the building has a strange beauty to it. This building has gone from an important Industrial Promotion Hall to a skeletal remain to a famous symbol of peace. So to be able to visit and photograph this building was a fantastic experiance.

It was at the A Dome where we noticed many people dressed in Carp baseball shirts and hats. Becuase Brittany and I both enjoy watching baseball what would be cooler than seeing a Japanese Pro baseball game. So we followed the crowds of people to the stadium and found the ticket booth. Although it was fairly pricey we said "what the heck" and forked over the money. The stadium wasn't the biggest nor was it the nicest baseball stadium but it was filled will the most enthusiatic fans. Chanting their teams songs and banging there drums made for a great game. Sadly the Carps lost. Oh well. We'll get em' in the playoffs.

As the sun set off in the distance we set off back to the hostel to hit the hay, so that we could again wake up bright and early. This particular hostel only had dorm rooms and did not allow girls to be mixed with the boys. I got into bed around 10:00 hoping to fall asleep before my other roommates arrived but wasn't lucky enough. To make matters worse, one of my roommates was the loudest snorer's in the entire world. I can't even give a comparison to how loud this guy snored. And it was constant. He would snore on his breath out and also snore on his breath in. So I was only able to get exactly 2 hours and 20 mins of sleep! Sweeettt eh?


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Japanese Pro Baseball !!Japanese Pro Baseball !!
Japanese Pro Baseball !!

Baseball = Fun for everyone!


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb