The Land Where It's Already Tomorrow, Chapter 01: Let the Games Begin!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Chiba » Narita
September 27th 2006
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to JapanWelcome to JapanWelcome to Japan

People have more experience in crowds in Asia than in North America, and as a result things tend to be quite orderly. In Taiwan, the escalator rule is "stand right walk left" and in Japan it's "stand left walk right"--because they drive on the "wrong' side of the road in Japan.
In ancient Rome, the emperor used to open the gladiator matches or the Christian martyrdoms by saying, “Let the Games Begin”. Easy for him to say—Rome conquered the world without having to deal with the Council for Labor Affairs. Honestly, the bureaucracy has to be experienced to be believed. Caesar quit when he was ahead, and didn’t even try to knock over China. The red tape has to be experienced to be believed! The historical enemies of Rome presented little difficulty by comparison, even though I seem to remember from high school Latin class that the barbarians had a lot of Gaul.

So. “Let the Games Begin”.

It’s a good thing to stop in Japan on the way here. It keeps the longest leg of the flight to only ten hours or so, and a leg-stretch before the final segment is most welcome. Anyway, I could get up and move around on the way across—the aircraft was only about half full. The two hours and forty-five minutes from Narita to Chiang Kai-shek was great—we flew over Fuji Yama and I got some pictures that I hope will turn out. The captain announced that there might be some turbulence because
Fuji Yama from the air...Fuji Yama from the air...Fuji Yama from the air...

...is a never-to-be-forgotten sight.
of the typhoon that had just blown through. I was expecting the usual—clouds black as sin, and rain lashing on the window like it was coming out of fire hose. Nothing. There was just a bump here and there—just enough for the flight attendant to have to park the booze buggy. JAL doesn’t skimp on the alcohol the way EVA Airlines does, although it’s my belief that Lao-puo bribes the cabin crew to take it easy. The JAL flight attendant, with a wink, slipped me an extra little bottle of plonk before she stowed the cart.

Customs and Immigration is smooth here, and the bus driver dropped me at Yuanshan Station. The taxi was only about $6.00 from there to my digs in Neihu. It was sure nice to get to bed, I’ll tell you.

Barring the fact that there is no hot water, my lodgings are great. It’s so thumping hot and humid that the cold water doesn’t matter. There is a 7-11 across the street for cold beer, which believe it or not I ignore in favour of the beautiful fruit in the store right downstairs.

The travel books should say that unless you can
Japan Asia Airlines to Chiang Kai-shek...Japan Asia Airlines to Chiang Kai-shek...Japan Asia Airlines to Chiang Kai-shek...

International Airport, which the revisionists have subsequently renamed Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport. While it is true that Chiang Kai-shek did things that would shame Hell, it is also true that Taiwan would be part of China this minute were it not for him.
be patient, don’t come to Taiwan. Today was one problem after another. I forgot my PIN number for my bank account, and had to go to the bank to deal with it. Everything must be done at my own branch, regardless of its now-inconvenient location. The one fellow who spoke English (and actually remembered me) helped me assign a new number. Easy. Getting a bankbook to replace the one I couldn’t find was not so easy. You are only allowed six ATM transactions without updating your book, so I had to have one. Did I think to take my passport with me? Are you kidding? Back on Monday to finish up.

My cell phone doesn’t work. If you don’t use the phone for six months, the number expires. I had to go to Chungwha Telecom in person to get my phone working. At least they let me keep my old number.

In other words, it took me all day just to get my bank card and my phone working. I went to “my” shipping company today and had a lovely “I Da Li Mien” lunch with Jean. “Italy noodle” is pasta.

Now, it’s late afternoon. Early to bed for this cowboy.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb