Pandora (Bali, same thing).


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
February 15th 2010
Published: February 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our open air bathroomOur open air bathroomOur open air bathroom

Showering here every morning is better than a strong glass of coffee
After 12 days in Thailand we finally made it to Bali. WOW! This place is absolutely amazing and what a change of pace after coming from Thailand. While we both enjoyed northern Thailand a lot because of the cool weather, amazing food and laid back atmosphere, being in Bali is like downshifting 3 gears and applying generous amounts of sun block. Believe the hype, Bali is absolutely amazing in every way you could imagine.

We have been communicating with a friend of friend who lives here in Bali but is from St. Louis. We've been in contact with her for the last few months and she has been helping us by telling us what to bring, what we should expect and she even offered us a room to rent in her house. So when we arrived in Bali our new friend Nea's husband came and picked us up. We drove about 30 minutes north of the airport along the western peninsula coast. The first thing you realize quick is that Bali is one big tropical island overrun by motor scooters, surfers and amazing beaches. When we got to Nea's house we pleansantly surprised to see her beautiful Bali home which
Bedroom 1Bedroom 1Bedroom 1

Mosquito nets - check. Romantic setting - check. Lizards crawling all over the place - check!
looked like it came right of the pages of Dwell Magazine. A multi-level home with 2 bedrooms, an extra apartment on a lower level, upper balconies connected by raised walkways, lush native foilage overtaking most of the property and everything is open air. We were speechless. Sure beats renting some crappy room in a touristy guesthouse!!! As if the house weren't enough, we were also greeted by Nea's beautiful 8 month old son Ikana (sic? hope I spelled that right Nea) who is one of the most beautiful little babies I have ever seen, and 5 baby half labrador half sheperd pups. C was in baby heaven!!! I was pretty smitten too. Come night fall the property turns into a National Geographic episode with hundreds of lizards overtaking the living quarters as well as frogs, bats, giant spiders and mice also making their presence known. We had to take all our fears of creepy crawlies and throw them out the door because there is no room for that here in Bali!

After the first night of getting settled, we woke up the next day, had a wonderful local breakfast and zipped around town on our motor scooter we rented
Bail SunsetBail SunsetBail Sunset

Our first day in town we snapped this awesome pic. Learning some new tricks on our camera too, hope you like it.
for the month. I will spare you the play by play and just let the pictures do the talking. Long story short, we are having an amazing time, the beaches here are amazing, the people here are so nice and friendly, the food is bomb, and we're already figuring out a way to spend the rest of our lives on this beautiful island. Oh, and everything is dirt cheap. With that said, I'm going to post these pictures and do some surfing. Met a bunch of local Bali boys that play soccer on the beach right before sunset...this place is a slice of heaven. See you next post!

PS - Keep up the comments, I love hearing what you have to say and I'll try to post more pics from now on. You have to see this place to believe it, it's like one big postcard!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Canggu BeachCanggu Beach
Canggu Beach

This is the closest bar to our accommodations, which just happens to be a world class surf spot too.
Pups!!Pups!!
Pups!!

Our five new friends. Their hobbies include eating poop, biting toes, chasing us around the property and looking adorable 24/7.
The prince of BaliThe prince of Bali
The prince of Bali

Cutest kid ever (besides my nieces of course). Ikana keeps us busy everyday and entertained everyday.
Bedroom 2Bedroom 2
Bedroom 2

Another shot of our room. We went to Kuta to check it out and boy are we glad we're not staying there! Tourist hell!!! This is our idea of paradise.
Property Tour 1Property Tour 1
Property Tour 1

Upstairs level. Nea and her husband designed this place perfectly!
Property Tour 2Property Tour 2
Property Tour 2

If Pandora exists it's in Nea's backyard. Here's a shot from the upper level looking down.
Property Tour 3Property Tour 3
Property Tour 3

More shots of Nea's dope pad. I don't think she knows we're not leaving yet.
Meet our neighborsMeet our neighbors
Meet our neighbors

The entire house is surrounded by rice paddies. You could have a serious rager here and no one would even care.
Canggu BeachCanggu Beach
Canggu Beach

I will be surfing here today. This is where the Bali locals play soccer at sunset too. Amazing.
Downtown CangguDowntown Canggu
Downtown Canggu

This is the extent of the Canggu bar scene. A nice stiff Bali coffee and a banana, peanut butter, honey pancake to start your day and you're ready for anything!


15th February 2010

Good to hear
Sounds like you guys are having a grreat time. Your pictures are wonderful. keep up the good times, be careful and I look forward to hearing from you again. Love You
15th February 2010

Wow!!
Well I just read the whole blog from start to finish! Looks like you are having a fabulous time there! I want to go to Bali and stay with Nea!! SD is still the same... Nothing new to report. Keep up with the blog and photos. Love it!!
16th February 2010

Shut up!
You fucker, I'll show you real man! Haha. You need to get your ass to Bali one day. It rules here!!!
16th February 2010

9 days babies !
i can not wait to take part in such a wonderful experience. Everything looks like a dream.
16th February 2010

Loving the blog, photos and all. Can't wait to see you in 9 days! Woot woot! PS played Hollywood United and Vinnie Jones this past weekend, and we actually held our own ...for a bit anyway.
22nd February 2010

Take me with you!!
Seriously...All I have to say about this post is WOW....WOW....when you build yourself a Pandora-esk home in Bali...please invite me to visit....FOREVER! Love you both and SOOOO glad to hear you're still having the time of your lives over there in Asia!
23rd February 2010

HELLO
Dude this looks amazing!!! Super jealous. That bedroom looks awesome, what's harm is a little lizard here and there? Safe travels you two! xoxo

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb