Padang (12-14 Jun 13)


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Padang
June 13th 2013
Published: June 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Adityawarman MuseumAdityawarman MuseumAdityawarman Museum

In traditional Minangkabau style, buffalo horns and all.
Flying out from KL's massive warehouse-like LCCT (Low Cost Carrier Terminal), it was just a short 1h ride to Padang, the largest city on the western coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra, which is itself the world's sixth largest island. Despite it's proximity to my home country of Singapore (which is probably just an hour or two's boat ride from the closest point of the massive island), this was in fact my first time here. Apart from the occasional earthquakes that ravage the island, and the separatist violence that used to plague the northernmost city of Acheh, the island itself does not seem to generate much global news, and my arrival here would have filled me with more hesitation and anxiety, had I not already spent a month in the neighbouring (and more populous) Indonesian island of Java last year.

A friend of mine who'd previously visited Medan, the capital of the island, warned about the dense population on Sumatra. Indeed I was expecting something akin to the busiest Javan cities that I visited last year, but Padang proved to be a much calmer affair. Being a relatively large city, its obviously not devoid of people, but by no
Jalan Batang ArauJalan Batang ArauJalan Batang Arau

Riverside promenade.
means as crowded as some of the Javan cities seemed.

The city itself isn't particularly filled with attractions, often serving as just a transit point for travellers heading north towards the more famous Lake Toba and other sights. But its appeal lies precisely in the laid-back, beach-side atmosphere. But nothing resembling a resort here though, as remnants of the damage inflicted from previous earthquakes continue to litter the city. Indeed Wikitravel had warned that tremors here were common, and of course I felt one my first night here! I could feel the hotel room shaking, and the classic dangling light bulb swayed precariously. But it lasted just all of maybe three seconds, and then it was over.

It wasn't so sedate back in 2009 though, when one measuring 7.9 of the Richter scale hit, killing thousands, and destroying large parts of the city. Signs of the damage continue to be visible. I can only imagine the terror of the disaster, so poignant compared to the (uncertain) calm that exists today.

Stayed at Hotel Tiga Tiga.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Beachside StallsBeachside Stalls
Beachside Stalls

The beach, is of course, the westernmost part of Sumatra, bordering the vast Indian Ocean.
Pasar RayaPasar Raya
Pasar Raya

Aka Central Market.
Streets of PadangStreets of Padang
Streets of Padang

Don't be misled though, this was a chance shot with minimal traffic. Padang is, as with most largish Indonesian cities, crawling with vehicles.
Earthquake MuseumEarthquake Museum
Earthquake Museum

In remembrance of the victims and damage caused by the most recent 2009 earthquake.
Grounds of Adityawarman MuseumGrounds of Adityawarman Museum
Grounds of Adityawarman Museum

A popular hang-out, including locals decked in full traditional dress filming.
Padang BeachPadang Beach
Padang Beach

Yes not the cleanest around, but well it's seen its fair share of earthquakes/ tsunamis over the years...


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0918s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb