Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Blogs from Padang
Latest Blogs from Padang
- November 4th 2012 Geckos Love Coffee
by Words: 1381 Photos: 18
- September 13th 2012 Emo Punks and Harbour Scum
by Words: 1928 Photos: 18
- April 19th 2012 Why is the lounge moving?
by Words: 1213 Photos: 8
- April 18th 2012 Journeys and Destinations Cubadak Island
by Words: 1467 Photos: 8
- November 27th 2011 Pitstop at Pitstop
by Words: 746 Photos: 6
- May 20th 2010 Oh dear god why did we do this?
by Words: 561 Photos: 2
- February 20th 2010 My Last Days in West Sumatra
by Words: 1067 Photos: 0
- February 13th 2010 Sumatra: The Mentawai Islands
by Words: 2441 Photos: 40
- January 25th 2010 Hands On in West Sumatra, Indonesia
by Words: 2103 Photos: 0
- October 3rd 2009 Earthquakes in Indonesia
by Words: 88 Photos: 0
- September 30th 2009 Humanitarian Ops again?
by Words: 1547 Photos: 14
- September 23rd 2009 Toba to Padang...the hard way!
by Words: 1206 Photos: 20
- August 19th 2009 The more things change, the more they stay the same.
by Words: 826 Photos: 18
- October 17th 2008 Rewind - Indo, Padang Part 1
by Words: 1002 Photos: 0
- June 12th 2008 South of Padang Coast Suggestions?
by Words: 45 Photos: 0
- May 26th 2008 PADANG TO BENGKULU
by Words: 319 Photos: 0
- January 10th 2008 13. Tag 10.1 152 km Maninjau -- Lubuk Basung -- Tika -- Pariaman -- Padang
by Words: 593 Photos: 13
- December 27th 2007 Padang
by Words: 869 Photos: 12
- December 5th 2007 Arrival in West Sumatra
by Words: 1277 Photos: 0
- January 20th 2007 mentawai
by Words: 1011 Photos: 13