Full Moon 2: Gilli's Revenge


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gilli Trawangan
August 1st 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

"You gotta go to Gilli" is what everyone said when they heard Bali was on our agenda. So we went to Gilli Trawangan for the full moon party.

First things first: its not like the full moon on Ko Pha Ngan. This one is a lot smaller, about 200 people, and its a lot more chilled out. No idiots, no ravers, just a few people dancing on the beach with some chunes on in the background. Its how I imagine Thailand was 10 years ago.

The Gilli islands are 3 islands off the North of Lombok: G Air, G Meno and Gilli Trawangan. There are no motorised vehicles so all transport is horsedrawn. Apart from the main strip there is also no electricity and all the showers use seawater (nice). But all that adds to the appeal of the Gilli Islands. There is 1 bar that has set up some TV's on the beach and you can pick DVD's to watch.

The most appealing part of life on Gilli T are the fantastic sunrises and sunsets. We trawled out of bed at 6.00am to go to the beach and watch one of the best sunrises of my life (the sunset involves an hour's hike to the uninhabited side of the island and was not as nice). All in all very enjoyable, although an uber strong current made swiming and snorkelling pretty much impossible.

So after 5 days of this it was time to head back to Bali, but we decided to break up the 12 hour trip with a stop over in Sengiggi: "The Blackpool of Lombok" 24 hours there was enough to confirm that it is better than Blackpool, but not much. We headed out and continued onto Ubod


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb