Day 15 - Yogyakarta


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Yogyakarta
August 14th 2011
Published: August 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 15 - Yogyakarta

We were up at a reasonable time on our first full day in Indonesia as we wanted to head down to the palace for what we had been promised would be a traditional Sunday morning dance ritual. However, after rushing down to the palace, all we could find were a gaggle of smiling tour guides ready to walk us round the temple and other points of interest in the vicinity. For the 30p per person it cost to get entry, the £4 for a 3 hour tour guide of the area didn't seem to much of a stretch - try getting a guide in the Vatican for such a small amount.

We walked around the palace, learning about Indonesia's history, occupations and subsequent freedoms from Dutch and Japanese rule. The current Sultan is the 10th such figurehead and numbers 8 and 9 are the most revered as it was these who respectively helped free them of Dutch rule and gain ultimate freedom from Japan.

From the palace we walked around the corner to the Carriage Museum which contained 23 carriages used by the Sultans and their families throughout the years for various engagements, historical moments and family affairs. The wedding carriage was looking particularly spotless as it is due for use on October 9th for the marriage of the Sultan's 4th daughter.

From here we made the obligatory stop off at a traditional Batik house. The works on show were easily the most impressive we saw throughout our time in Indonesia. After having the usual sales pitches thrown at us and the very common converstaions I get around the world when I mention I am from Manchester (ahhh, Manchester United!) we found a little something for r kid and went to see the - suspiciously named - Water Castle. A large, old stone building now starting to crumble under the weight of grafitti and empty coke cans. Once it was suppsoed to have been surrounded by a large swimming pool where the Sultan would come down in the afternoons to choose his preferred lady (from his 100's of wifes) for the evening. No such sights in this day and age though. Just rooftops and girls on mobile phones.

It was now time for the guide to try and squeeze a little more money out of us by taking us to his home and showing us his mother's array of Batik talent. He was getting progressively grumpier with us as we said no to everything he threw at us - tablecloths, sarongs, wall hangings. Eventually we told him we just wanted a postcard from his little collection for her to send to a friend and with that we left, walked up an alley to the main road and were left on the roadside as one of his mates picked him up on a scooter and drove him back to the palace.

Within a few minutes though we had it figured out as to whereabouts we were and walked back to the hotel to get out of the relentless sunshine. Back at the room Lizzie decided she wanted a nap so I caught up on all the football news I had been missing before it was time for showers and food. This evening we headed back to the hotel so I could watch West Brom vs United at the hotel with a Canadian couple from Montreal - they were called Bruce and Isabelle. He was a Manchester United fan and had previously gotten more excited than most SE Asians do when hearing that I was from Manchester. She was a player from the Canadian national ladies American Football team - not everyday you meet one of those.

We sat up, drinking the hotel dry of Bintang and watched the football, I tried to help him get a more in depth knowledge of tactics whilst he tried to convince me of the merits of ice hockey. Sods law managed to ensure I had nipped to the toilet for both of the United goals but not to worry, at least we won. Bruce and I stayed up chatting for a while before I heard a familiar sound ("Daniel!") from behind me. Apparently it was now well afer 12 and I was supposed to be in bed over an hour ago for the early morning start. As Isabelle had already left us we both retired to our rooms, one of us in a little less trouble than the other though.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



16th August 2011

More great stories
Read every blog, what a trip, very entertaining daily updates we love it. What a wonderful experience you 2 are having. Enjoy

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb