Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Photos from Yogyakarta
Blogs from Yogyakarta
Latest Blogs from Yogyakarta
- November 4th 2013 Around Yogyakarta - To Prambanan
by Words: 190 Photos: 0
- November 3rd 2013 The bird market!!!! Beware...
by Words: 320 Photos: 0
- October 30th 2013 Yogyakarta with the Mrs!
by Words: 970 Photos: 17
- September 3rd 2013 Tuesday with Reni (or The Six Religions You Meet in Indonesia)
by Words: 2968 Photos: 36
- September 1st 2013 The Always Smoking Country
by Words: 619 Photos: 16
- August 10th 2013 Van de drukke steden in West-Java naar de vulkanen in Oost-Java
by Words: 1356 Photos: 21
- July 11th 2013 Vesak trip to Yogyakarta - May 2013
by Words: 1200 Photos: 5
- July 11th 2013 A Chill out day but an exciting one...
by Words: 118 Photos: 0
- July 9th 2013 A very busy day in Yogyakarta...
by Words: 170 Photos: 0
- July 8th 2013 Jakarta , Yogjakarta
by Words: 260 Photos: 0
- July 4th 2013 Indonesia part deux
by Words: 862 Photos: 0
- July 2nd 2013 NEW HOLIDAY through Asia again and i'm 10 now!!!
by Words: 79 Photos: 0
- June 21st 2013 Early mornings, climbing up mountains, falling down mountains, being let loose on the scooter and temple spotting. Yogyakarta is a hub of Culture !!
by Words: 2012 Photos: 44
- May 29th 2013 The Sad Transition to Touristville
by Words: 1682 Photos: 35
- May 7th 2013 A surprisingly good start to our last country
by Words: 2219 Photos: 51
- January 13th 2013 Around Yogyakarta in Three Days
by Words: 1101 Photos: 43
- November 8th 2012 Neue Handynummer in Indonesien
by Words: 29 Photos: 0
- November 5th 2012 Aus dem Himalaya in den Sueden Indiens in Ammas Ashram und weiter nach Java, Indonesien
by Words: 2712 Photos: 69
- November 2nd 2012 Mount Merapi Merbabu
by Words: 36 Photos: 0
- October 31st 2012 Between The Two Universe
by Words: 62 Photos: 4