Where are you coming from? Where are you going to?


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Yogyakarta
March 7th 2007
Published: March 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mt. Merapi Mt. Merapi Mt. Merapi

Our friendly neighborhood volcano
Dari mana? Ke mana? (Where are you coming from, where are you going to) These are the most frequent questions I hear, my answers ranging from dari sana, ke sana, (over there, to there) to Jalan-Jalan (oh, just around) to lihat-lihat (taking in the sights) to mau makanan (off to eat) and of course (pasar, beli buah) to the market to buy fruit. We love fruit. (Kami cinta buah)

Mostly we go about by motorbike (sepeda motor), John drives and weaves us in and out of hundreds of other speeding motorbikes, a few relaxed moving bicycles, and a handful of cars, trucks, and busses. Motorbike is the most efficient way to travel, as you can fit into all those important places cars cannot fit, make quick turns, and go back down a street the wrong way if you overshot, which of course you did. You can hang all your purchases between your legs, have your wife or best friend swing up behind you, and feel confident that in a pinch you could fit your whole family on a motorbike. It’s gas efficient, stylish, and easy to park.

On the days that I am alone, I’ve explored walking. It’s not
Mt. Merapi over riceMt. Merapi over riceMt. Merapi over rice

From a table at Hani's (a good restaurant)
my favorite option because unless it’s at five in the morning (and everyone here gets up at five in the morning) it’s either too hot or pouring rain, either way I’m quickly drenched. Add to this that the sidewalks are either taken up by makeshift restaurants, challengingly angled broken rubble, or completely non existent, leaving me walking on the street rubbing elbows with the speeding motorbikes, etc. Nevertheless, I’ve walked to the photo shop, the fruit stand, most of my favorite restaurants, and Taman Sari, the Sultan Palace’s water park (it was closed, and it started to rain on me, but it was worth it because there was a huge gorgeous rainbow spanning the whole sky above the park).

Probably my favorite way to get about town is by becek. These are little two person Ferris wheel looking seats powered in back by man riding bicycle. It’s quite cozy to sit in one of these and look out at the world as you are pedaled along pleasantly through the midst of the motorcycle swarms. Sadly, I’ve only taken a becek twice. The first time with John, in the middle of the night on our way home from somewhere, and the second time alone, on my way back from Malioboro (everyone’s favorite shopping street), feeling like a princess from another era.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Javanese FrogJavanese Frog
Javanese Frog

I found him in the bathroom at Hani's Restaurant.
Digging for dirtDigging for dirt
Digging for dirt

This is a river on the outskirts of Yogya, the people here are gathering the gravel to sell to Bantul, where the big earthquake hit.
KrakonKrakon
Krakon

Road side healings. Krakon is traditional Javanese method using a coin and menthol oil, rubbing the skin in diagonal strips until it's bright red. Looks like really long hickies and stays about a week.
Would you like a doggy bag to go?Would you like a doggy bag to go?
Would you like a doggy bag to go?

Neither of us had ever seen anything like this before, we think maybe the dog had flees or they just got their car cleaned or something.
Motorcycle/HorseMotorcycle/Horse
Motorcycle/Horse

Fancy, we thought worth a shot.


30th September 2007

Hello
Hello, I am Lie. I am glad that you enjoy your stay at Yogyakarta, my home town.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb