Indonesia


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Jakarta
August 31st 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Indonesia


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Komodo Dragons at Play 38 secs
2: Ubud children 17 secs
Beautiful BaliBeautiful BaliBeautiful Bali

Home of the lovely balinese people who have a smile and a welcome for all. Wish I could keep them with me always!
Thank you for all your encouragement and kind comments about the blog… but please keep them coming (she says quite shamelessly) as we really enjoy reading them and hearing about life back in the UK.

We’re currently in Vietnam where it looks like we’ll be spending Christmas. Would you believe that Saigon is full of Christmas tat, including fake snow and penguins. Honestly when did it ever snow in Saigon and today they were playing Maria Carey’s “All I want for Christmas is You”. (Good Grief).

Indonesia



Arriving Kuala Lumpur


Back we go to the Blog and it is summer where following ten weeks enjoying the best of the Indian Monsoon weather we’d left Mumbai airport in search of blue skies and sunshine.

Close to midnight we landed at Kuala Lumpur International airport, the cleanliness and just simple shininess of it all amazed us. Terry had none of the usual hassle in arranging a price for a taxi and as we sped along, doing at least 100mph, we were genuinely entranced not only by the quality of the tarmac roads but more that the many vehicles were all capable of travelling at
I'll have an Earl Grey tea, pleaseI'll have an Earl Grey tea, pleaseI'll have an Earl Grey tea, please

One of the many old colonial buildings we've had the pleasure of taking sustenance in during our travels
high speed. Clearly we’d been in India long enough!

With smug smiles on our faces we got to KL centre and hit dense unmoving traffic. Worse the taxi driver couldn’t find our hotel, which proved to be tucked away in the maze that is Petaling Market, China Town. The harassed taxi driver tried to get us out, even though not one of us knew quite where the hotel was. We declined but Terry set off to make enquiries and the taxi driver started to drive away with me and the bags still in it. Once I’d pointed out that Terry had all the money he stopped and waited; within minutes Terry returned with a staff member from our hotel. Phew, don’t think that the taxi driver meant harm but was simply in a panic to get back to the paying fares that he was missing out on.


KL


KL is a strange mix of mostly very modern architecture with older buildings tucked in between (or should that be underneath). The large office blocks were all decked out in Malaysian flags for Independence Day. Apparently the government requires that they put up flags but it
Off Freedom Square, KLOff Freedom Square, KLOff Freedom Square, KL

Blue skies (at last) form a great backdrop to Kuala Lumpur's amazing mix of different architectural styles
did look rather special. It wasn’t, however, the beautifully sunny day we had dreamed of as the heavens opened before breakfast was finished. Seems that KL’s rainy season had arrived early.

A few days were happily spent wandering around KL, between the heavy, frequent down pours with our newly acquired umbrellas. We loved wandering around the branch of Marks and Spencer’s in the Petronas Towers’ shopping mall. (Well we were five months away from home and they sold Earl Grey Tea Bags. Even better in China Town’s market we picked up Series four Dr Who on DVD, hooray).

The shopping mall is also home to the Philharmonic Orchestra, who were putting on Borodin’s Polovtsian Dances. As the box office was closed we looked up details on the net; to find they have a strict dress code. Terry hadn’t packed his dress suit so that was a no go. Instead we found a centenary tribute to Puccini at the Chinese centre (!) With tickets booked we walked there in a torrential downpour only to find that we had got the wrong day. It was in fact the night for a Malaysian women’s group who were charming and invited us
Bali - scene of Sari Club Bali - scene of Sari Club Bali - scene of Sari Club

This memorial has been erected to mark the death of 202 youngsters, killed when the bombs went off in Kuta Beach, 2002. The persons found guilty of the attack had been on death row for some years and were executed by firing squad just this month. (Nov 2008). There were fears of repercussions once they were inevitably they be declared martyrs.
in to watch an art house film about life for women in Iran. If it was strange for me imagine how Terry felt.

Fed up with rain, next day we caught a flight to Bali!


Indonesia - Bali


It was time for some serious RnR and we found it in a reasonably priced hotel on the border between Legian and Seminyak. But after half a day on the beach, finding it difficult to sit still, we hired a motor bike to explore the area.

We were really struck by the warmth of the Balinese people and enjoyed the quality of the restaurants that front Legian beach. Many had free wifi and I apologise again to those who received a smug email.

Several days passed and then we were off to Gili Trawangan. The Gilis are three tiny coral islands just off Lombok. By now it was Ramadan and most of Indonesia is Muslim, so it was very much calmer than normal as we’re just too old for a party island never mind full moon parties.


Diving off Lombok


We’d booked up for five days scuba diving whilst
Fish for Tea?Fish for Tea?Fish for Tea?

This chap, on Bali's Seminyak Beach was happy to cast his net for a small bucket full of tiddlers. Just enough to feed his family I guess.
on the Gilis. It was all very relaxed and the waters have masses of fish, sea snakes and sharks etc but sadly the coral has been largely killed off not only by the fishing (the fishermen had been using cyanide bombs and are now paid not to fish!) but mostly from a sudden rise in water temperature a few years ago. Happily it is starting to recover.


Journey to Dragon Country


In between diving and eating gorgeous meals in restaurants on the white coral sands we had to decide what to do next. Indonesia is home to Komodo Dragons which can be found roaming free in the Komodo National Park off Flores.(a catholic island in eastern Indonesia - just north of Timor).

There were several options for getting there; by far the cheapest was a four day boat trip. Even as we booked it I confess to being nervous not only at the thought of four nights sleeping out on deck but also as we’d heard tales of un-seaworthy boats sinking in the seas around the less touristy islands.

Despite the living conditions and there being neither life jackets nor sea charts in
MotorbikingMotorbikingMotorbiking

We had a ball bombing around Bali on a 100cc motor bike. In truth as it wasn't possible to get insurance we made our way very carefully, unlike the thousand or so other bikers surrounding us!
sight, the boat journey proved to be fabulous and I suspect will be a highlight of our whole trip. Seventeen of us slept out on a tarpaulin covered deck, in a space about the size of our deck at home (but sadly there wasn’t a hot tub). Whilst its best not to dwell on the toilet facility, I’ll just say how unusual it is to see the sea bed at such times.

Every day we stopped at really remote coral islands and snorkelled on some of the best reefs I imagine I’ll ever see. Even being stung by jelly fish didn’t detract from it (Terry and one other chap were bitten by a little pink fish - goodness knows what that was about.).

Towards the end of the voyage we stopped off at both Komodo and Rinca Islands to watch the dragons. One of the few remaining examples of evolutionary gigantism, they didn’t disappoint.


Flores


Whilst out there, in a land without working internet connection nor mobile phone signal, we of course went diving, off a hard boat in the Komodo National Marine Park. Sited at the junction of two oceans, where the
ShrinesShrinesShrines

Every home or building has a space dedicated to worshipping the Bali version of Hindu Gods. They are enchanting to see and so different to the shrines in India.
deep waters rise bringing an abundance of nutrients there is an amazing diversity of marine life; all around stunning underwater topography.

The same day, we set off, across the beautiful island of Flores, on a road which snaked its way precariously, winding up the sides of volcanoes and plunging back down to the sea. We were off to see the crater lakes of Kellimutu Volcano. There are three and not only is each a different colour, but their colours have been changing over the last hundred years. The waters in the lakes are best viewed at sunrise but sadly after a 3.30am wake up we were thwarted by cloud; but hey not everything can go your way.

Next day and a quick flight saw us back on Bali and after a few days in Ubud, which is very green but also heavily built up, we were back in lovely Legian. This time we were able to relax and soak up some sunshine.

You’ll have already guessed that we loved Indonesia and might be there still, but for our visa privileges only lasting thirty days, so another flight saw us in Jakarta for an overnight stay, on the
Beach - Gili TrawanganBeach - Gili TrawanganBeach - Gili Trawangan

As you can see this travelling is such hard work
way back to Malaysia.


Jakarta


We’d been warned about how heavily populated, noisy and polluted Jakarta is and its all true. Seeing the wooden schooners moored in Sunda Kelapa port was impressive but we were also ready to leave. Having a few hours to kill whilst awaiting the flight off we went to the Cinema. Mama Mia was showing and what an anti-dote to Ramadan in Jakarta it proved to be. Weeping with laughter we set off to Borneo and the Orang-utans.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Turtle (and Remora)Turtle (and Remora)
Turtle (and Remora)

The diving off of Gili Trawangan wasn't the best reef diving as much of the Coral had died. But who can complain when there are so many turtles swimming around, never mind the sharks.
Getting irrtitated?Getting irrtitated?
Getting irrtitated?

Terry's very presence was enough to annoy this cuttlefish into displaying its rippling colours
Boat Envy?Boat Envy?
Boat Envy?

Guess which boat was ours? Yep the one on the left. The only way ashore was to swim. (the crew had a dug out canoe in which they brought our shoes, cameras etc). Strangely, when we boooked we weren't asked if we could swim!
Room for one more.Room for one more.
Room for one more.

Our sleeping quarters aboard The Dua Putra. Just the 12 of us up here .. the remaining five had to sleep on the main deck but at least they had comfortable mattresses! The "window" at the back allowed for a stiff breeze to pass through ( think wind tunnel) and some nights I froze whilst dreaming of my sleeping bag
Fishing Boats of FloresFishing Boats of Flores
Fishing Boats of Flores

There we were at night, on a boat miles from anywhere (even mobile phone signals) and we spoted numerous bright lights. Next day we saw the local fishing boats which explained all
Chris and Tel Chris and Tel
Chris and Tel

Looking our very best after 4days at sea!
Look at the legs on thatLook at the legs on that
Look at the legs on that

Komodo's are surely evil. These primeval creatures held us spell bound. They kill by biting their prey, which passes on a fatal infection and the dragon then just hangs about waiting two or three weeks for the water buffaloo or deer to die and then eats the whole lot; skeleton and all.
Room with a view.Room with a view.
Room with a view.

When we finally arrived in Labuan Bajo, on Flores we were lucky enough to get a room in the Gardenia Hostel. The room was constructed from bamboo had a fan a bed and a cold water shower but what a view.
Slap a fish on the BarbieSlap a fish on the Barbie
Slap a fish on the Barbie

This roadside cafe on Flores used coconut shells to BBQ Mackerel caught ealier, just a short distance away in the Lombok seas.
Paddy Fields on FloresPaddy Fields on Flores
Paddy Fields on Flores

Flores is a volcanic island and completely beautiful.
No Smoking Ban on FloresNo Smoking Ban on Flores
No Smoking Ban on Flores

Indonesia is an island nation with over 17,000 islands, many of which are volcanic. This one wass silently smoking and has been for some time. We didn't make it to Krakatoa, but at least now know that is is in fact West of Java!
Blue Stone BeachBlue Stone Beach
Blue Stone Beach

This beautiful beach is called Blue Stone Beach and had been covered by striking blue stones. Now being rapidly exported whilst the "GroundForce" craze lasts.
Sunrise on KellimetuSunrise on Kellimetu
Sunrise on Kellimetu

3.30am saw us up and ready. Two hours later this was ass bright as the sunrise got; low cloud shrouded Flores' beautiful Volcanic craters. Damn and Blast the weather but at least it didn't rain.
Schooners in JakartaSchooners in Jakarta
Schooners in Jakarta

The old port of Sunda Kelepa is home to perhaps the world's last commercial wooden sailing fleet. The boats are still maintained by hand and many here were being re corked.


3rd December 2008

Hola
Looks like you got out of Mumbai at the right time! Your pictures are stunning as it all looks so beautiful - never had you both down as 'Hells Angels' though. Number 1 son now back from his travels of a lifetime and he was ready for some comfort after 7 months of roughing it - our house has it's uses. Minus 1 here this morning when I left for work - me thinks you in the right place!! Carry on enjoying. Irene
4th December 2008

Wow!!
Now this is more mt cup of tea. Colonial buildings, earl grey tea and lovely beaches and sea.... and I bet somewhere to plug in mt hairdryer! Still doing lots of fab stuff at SEPT and Dan is well on his way to getting his swimming award...... a qualifying aspect of getting a sailing course in the New Year. Have a great Xmas wherever you may be. lorraine
4th December 2008

hello
Hi Guys - glad to be able to access your last blog as inexplicably did not get previous one ( you havent struck me off have you !!). Glad to see you looking sos tanned and relaxed whilst we are negotiating wind rain and snow - jealous who me ??? Truly glad to hear that you are safe and well - have a fab Xmas !! LOL carol
13th December 2008

Hello
Looks like you are still having a truely marvellous trip - a once in a lifetime experience . The colonial buildings in KL look wonderful and all the pictures just make all of us in the cold wet UK extremely jealous. Have a great Christmas and stay safe.
21st September 2009

It is very beautiful to see you in balli I stayed ther about one month I hope it has not changed. We are still in Japan waiting to see you guys for new year. take care Mehdi

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb