Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Blogs from Jakarta
Latest Blogs from Jakarta
- May 19th 2013 First Few Days in Jakarta!
by Words: 648 Photos: 16
- May 8th 2013 Reverse culture shock: Its real and God help you!
by Words: 862 Photos: 0
- April 15th 2013 Farewells, injuries and surprises.
by Words: 708 Photos: 5
- March 10th 2013 High to low
by Words: 761 Photos: 7
- March 7th 2013 Jakarta Indonesia Part 1
by Words: 274 Photos: 0
- January 8th 2013 A Day in Jakarta
by Words: 447 Photos: 25
- January 6th 2013 The Newbie
by Words: 47 Photos: 0
- December 11th 2012 Cibinong, Indonesia Madrasa (Islamic School)
by Words: 221 Photos: 26
- December 9th 2012 INDONESIEN
by Words: 5 Photos: 43
- December 9th 2012 Jakarta, Indonesia - Day 2
by Words: 128 Photos: 8
- December 8th 2012 Jakarta, Indonesia - Day 1
by Words: 212 Photos: 5
- September 22nd 2012 Jakarta
by Words: 129 Photos: 3
- August 2nd 2012 Four Shorts about Jakarta
by Words: 1001 Photos: 4
- July 24th 2012 Selamat Tingaal. We will be back.
by Words: 637 Photos: 4
- July 23rd 2012 Jakarta? No she walked!
by Words: 589 Photos: 10
- July 19th 2012 Dag van uitersten
by Words: 350 Photos: 2
- July 18th 2012 Jakarta Oude Stad
by Words: 152 Photos: 2
- July 17th 2012 Off to Jakarta!
by Words: 239 Photos: 2
- July 11th 2012 Aankomst Jakarta
by Words: 220 Photos: 1
- July 6th 2012 Culture Shock
by Words: 489 Photos: 0