Hello from Indonesia! - Week 1


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Bogor
June 27th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We're currently in the CIVAS (Centre for Indonesian Veterinary Analytical Studies - www.civas.net) office stationed in Bogor, Indonesia and we're having an incredible time. So far our first week has focussed on learning about the AI situation in Indonesia and all of its complexities. We have visited large scale and smaller scale poultry farms, poultry collecting facilities (which act as middlemen between poultry farmers and local markets/buyers), Halal slaughter facilities, and smaller community-based poultry farming operations. We're also in contact with researchers from Colorado State University who are beginning some new AI prevalance studies. We've been able to brush up on our clinical skills by practicing blood collection, and tracheal and cloacal swabs on local chickens and ducks.

Our CIVAS hosts have been fantastic in helping us adjust to life in Indonesia. Without them we'd be stuck on the insane streets of Bogor where a small street lined with market stands and people can quickly turn into a bustling 5-lane highway of motorcycles and public buses! Life here is a bit of a strange clash between the modern and the old - one can find large shopping malls with Starbucks and A&W, and yet it is also not uncommon to see a family of water buffalo walking along one lane of the road. Another thing that we've consistently noticed is the warmth and kindness of all the people that we meet here. Everyday we always return home with food and gifts from all the local people that we've encountered throughout the day. The food here is absolutely delicious and our stomachs are perpetually full. Our next challenge is to brave the exotic and potent-smelling durian fruit that all the locals seem to love!

Our first week of our Global Vets experience has been incredible and we're sure the next 8 weeks will pass in no time at all. Stay tuned for most posts as next week we will conclude our work here in Indonesia and move on to Thailand!


Rice paddy fields in the Sukabumi District of Indonesia.




Local rice farmers.




Chicks!




Melanie and Tiffany demonstrate proper disinfecting protocols between poultry barns.




Team Southeast Asia!




The best bananas on the planet.




Waterbuffalo on the streets of Indonesia





Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb