Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
August 17th 2011
Published: August 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning I hired a motorbike (very cheap to hire), and rode over to Kuta to join the surf school. That was a real experience. although I've ridden bikes a lot in Thailand which can be hairy, here was far worse. The traffic is a real mess here. The cars get jammed up, don't stay in lines, then the motorbikes can barely get through. On top of that the street signs are tiny or non-existent, there are one way streets everywhere, so it was a real challenge to make the first trip over to Kuta. I arrived in one piece about 12.

Monday and yesterday, the surf was very clean and nice at Kuta, however today the surf got very big and practically unsurfable. Today's lesson was cancelled. I rode back to the hotel (more fun and games), then later rode down the Bukit peninsula to have a look at Uluwatu.

Uluwatu is a famous surf spot at the end of the Bukit peninsula (only for advanced surfers). There are lots of bars and restaurants built right around the location, giving good views of the surfers catching beautiful massive waves.

After a look at a few other spots, rode back towards Sanur. Today was Indonesia's Independence Day public holiday. At one location near Jimbaran they had blocked the main road to put on a concert. All traffic was diverted down incredibly narrow lanes. What chaos! I followed everyone else for about 2km down this maze of lanes, and finally came out on a main road (which was hardly any better than the choked up lanes!)



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Fried bananasFried bananas
Fried bananas

Yummy treat for about $1


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb