Ubud


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
October 14th 2007
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We caught a taxi to Ubud after a fast boat ride from the Gili's. It seemed like a quaint little place with lots of art and craft shops. As it was a public holiday we were a bit worried that we wouldn't be able to find somewhere to stay however spent the night in the biggest room ever! It was very basic though and we moved the next day to a lovely little place where we had a four poster bed and they bought you breakfast every morning on the balcony!

We both loved Ubud for one main reason, the food! Both of us haven't been very impressed with the Indonesian food compared to the Thai and Malaysian cuisine so we definitely appreciated it here. The second day in Ubud we went to the monkey sanctuary and as Mark went to pay for the tickets, I put our bottle of water down to take a picture of some monkeys. One cheeky monkey came up and snatched the bottle and ripped a hole in it, with one of the local women chasing it off with a stick. People were selling bananas everywhere in this monkey park, an as soon as the monkeys saw them they started circling like vultures!! Not a wise move! Then we had some random people ask if they could have their picture taken with us - we found out later it is lucky to have your photo taken with a westerner!

As we have become quite lazy the longer we have been travelling, we decided to go on a long walk in the countryside to burn off a few cals. This just proved how unfit we both were as we were struggling up some steep hill after only 10 mins!! We got to the top of this huge hill to find that even escaping to the countryside, there were still loads of people trying to sell things to us....with some random guy on the path hassling us to buy one of his coconuts...pointing to some tree he had just climbed!!

We really liked Ubud the people were really friendly and had a lovely feel, after we had tried out the main restaurants it was off to climb a volcano to work off all that food!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb