One Island Many destinations


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Sanur
August 16th 2011
Published: August 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

When all you care about is here , this is a good place to be - Emile De Becque South Pacific

We arrived in Sanur , a city by the beach in time for dinner. Once again we picked a seaside restaurant with seating in the sand. The next day we strolled the sidewalk by the sand shopping before we visited the Le Mayeur Museum. Le Mayeur was a Belgium painter who fell in love with a Balinese woman and is credited with painting beauty of the island. His muse was his wife. She later donated his home, filled with paintings to the city as a museum. During his time in Sanur they would accept Politian’s and tourists for dinner and a viewing of the paintings. The museum we saw was very similar to what visitors would have viewed. It is too bad it is an open air home with wooden carved shutters and walls that leave the paintings protected with little more than thin glass. After we met our friends and celebrated Birthdays on swings at an ocean view bar before we listened to Balinese musicians playing Irish music in an Irish pub. Last on our itinerary is the city of Ubud, where our hotel was once the guest quarters of the Prince of Ubud. Next to the river it is landscaped into the terrain and has Walter Spies house available for rent. It was once an artists retreat as Ubud seems to be the center for arts , crafts and creativity. Here we saw a fire and trance show at local temple . The music has no instruments other than voice, the voice of 50 men chanting in a trancelike manner so beautifully that if you closed your eyes you wouldn't know it was only voice. Women in traditional Legong costumes and men in elaborate animal costumes, played part of the story of Ramayana, the Hindu epic reminiscent of the love story of Romeo and Juliet . The setting was a traditional temple complete with statues wearing sarongs and a frangipani tucked behind all the actors and the audience ears. Supposedly one side is for the married and another for the single. After we dined and danced the night away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb