Farewell India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
January 27th 2011
Published: January 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

Been a few days since our last blog so get ready for a long installment. Currently sitting in an internet cafe on the Khoasan rd in Bankok. We had a few drinks last night when we arrived. Managed to avoid ladyboys but nursing a bit of a hangover this morning. Carrie is in bed with "food poisoning" - hope she is feeling better so we can head to Cambodia tomorrow.

So the last blog was from Jalsemer (as you no doubt will know it is called the Golden City) which is a pretty small town whcih was nice as we could walk around it and explored the old fort there. We then headed to the desert and went camel riding which was an experience! When the Lonely Planet advised girls to wear a sports bra I should have perhaps considered wearing some tighter undies, but alas, I didn't and had a rather uncomfy ride! We were meant to spend the night sleeping under the stars in the desert but it was cloudy so we stayed indoors.

Next day we headed to Jodhpur, the Blue City. Another impressive fort and market town. Carrie bought some spices (why?) so expect some dodgy home made curries when we get home. What is wrong with take away? We then headed to Pushkar where we cycled through the markets (made use of the bell to get people/cows to shift out of the way) then we walked up to this temple on the top of a mountain (maybe more like a small hill but after 2 weeks of naan bread it felt a long way). Great views and some good exercise. Next day we headed to Udaipur - India's most romantic city apparently. Udaipur was carrie's favourite place in India - there were these Palaces on the lake which was pretty special and Carrie did some more shopping (I have stopped protesting now as it does no good!). We said goodbye to Cha our driver (he was getting on our nerves a bit in the end - kept asking us to find him a wife who would do his cleaning) and we then flew to Mumbai..

I was a little nervous about heading to Mumbai as I was worried that it would be like Delhi (twinned with Chernobyl) but it wasn't. If you like Victorian architecture then Mumbai is the place to go. Very western until we got to the slums which was an experience. No sign of recent game show winners but still pretty interesting and makes you think how lucky we have it (end of serious bit).

So all in all, India was a cultural adventure but we were both ready to somewhere a bit more relaxed and Carrie was fed up with having to cover up everywhere! So here we are in bangkok. Off to Cambodia tomorrow. The adventure continues...


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



27th January 2011

Feeling better
Hi you two, Great to hear from you - your mum was getting worried! Great photos. Glad Danny survived the camel ride and hope your tummy bug has gone, Carrie. Will get rid of any excess weight gained from the Nam breads and lovely Indian curries. Nothing exciting happening here - just waiting for next week when we off on holiday. lol xxxx

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb