Little Heart & SOM begins


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
July 5th 2010
Published: July 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

WelcomeWelcomeWelcome

We always receive a warm welcome!
Hi to all who are reading along.

We visited Little Hearts (special needs orphanage) on Saturday and it was very encouraging to catch up with Iyyappan and Rita and see all the work that is happening there. There are to be big changes with the development of Little Buds school (for local village children who would not normally receive education). Now that it has government recognition and the appropriate licenses etc the existing buildings will now all be used for the school. So the health centre and the original Little Hearts classrooms will be incorporated into what we know as Little Buds. Big changes plus more building work!! Kids are all making great progress and Little Buds school continues to achieve well.

Today the SOM course officially started. We have 21 students altogether with a few coming later in the week. It is a very encouraging turn out and they all engaged in games etc today very well.

It struck me (Bronagh) how much of an honour it is to have the opportunity to be involved in their lives in such an intense way. When you consider the cultural and language barriers that may exist between us I
Indian HospitalityIndian HospitalityIndian Hospitality

Iyyappan (founder and director of Little Hearts) and Rita (wife) always great us with a garland!
admit I ask the question, why us? But then I’m reminded that God has purposes that we don’t yet realise and that the work He is doing in us is just as important as the work He will do through us. I must admit that my attitude about giving up my summer may not always have been honourable, but I have been gently chastened. Here’s why . . . .

The School Of Ministry course has already run this year in Tamal (local language). One of the students in particular from this batch has previously completed the Tamal course but decided that he would gain a lot from the course in English as there are a few different subjects being taught than he would have previously covered. This guy is a Pastor who has a lot of experience and would probably put both of us to shame with his knowledge. Here’s the most humbling bit. He travels to where we are from his home everyday which is approximately 150km away.

So he leaves his house every morning at 4am and takes 3 different modes of transport to get here and does the same 150km back again not returning
Stephen with JemaniStephen with JemaniStephen with Jemani

She loved having her photo taking and always has a smile on her face. Was good to see her again.
until 10pm that night. And you know, he doesn’t complain. He’s hungry for more of God and thankful for the opportunity. He blessed me and indirectly challenged me all in one shot! I hopped in the car and drove here this morning (yes I drove in India, in the city no less!!) and we were here within 20 minutes. I realised this morning that his perspective is from a heavenly place and thus came my rebuke. I need to be more like that. Here’s hoping the next few weeks bring a few changes.

Thank to everyone who has commented. We honestly love hearing from you all at home and appreciate you taking the time to encourage us. It means a lot.

God bless

Bronagh & Stephen



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Little Hearts KidsLittle Hearts Kids
Little Hearts Kids

The kids are in the middle of a lesson her. I think she was working on language development and comprehension.
VisionVision
Vision

This photo speaks for itself really. Always been a favourite of mine.
Indian village mindsetIndian village mindset
Indian village mindset

This echoes the reality of life for some families in India. When a girl is born parents can often feel burdened by the dowry and wedding they will have to pay for. As a result many lives are needlessly lost.


5th July 2010

Hi all
great 2 hear all ur news...i kno its challenging when we hear wot some people do over there in other countries 2 get 2 work or church.. or the length of time they spend listening 2 Gods word... whereas here were inclined 2 go 2 the nearest place 4 handiness sake...not always wot God wants us 2 do... God Bless u both there...I know He will!!!!
5th July 2010
Indian village mindset

Hello you two!!
Glad day 1 went well. Bronagh I don't think you're on your own being challenged by that Pastor's commitment and desire to learn more, we all are! Great to hear of the next phase at the orphanage too! Driving in India, now that's what I call faith!!! Great job you two!
6th July 2010

Disciple of God
Hi Stephen and Bronagh I loved this last travel Blog. It really does make us sit up and take notice of how free we are in the western world and how much we take for granted. Praise the Lord that the Holy Spirit is working through you both with so much compassion and a driven flame to light the hearts off many others. May God protect you and your students. God Bless you both always. Claire xo
16th July 2010

Hey
Fantastic, interesting things going on out there - you're doing a great job!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 25; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb