Nainital, India, The Himalayas; and Halloween In Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Nainital
October 30th 2008
Published: October 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

James, Karita, Kim and I headed for the Himalayas for the weekend. It was 10 hours up and 6 hours back. We had a 4 day weekend because it was Diwali.

"Diwali (or Deepavali) is a major Hindu holiday, and a significant festival in Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, and Jainism. Many legends are associated with Diwali. Today it is celebrated by Hindus, Jains, and Sikhs across the globe as the "Festival of Lights," where the lights or lamps signify victory of good over the evil within an individual. Diwali is celebrated on the new moon day (approx fifteenth day) of the month Kartika." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali

"Nainital is a town in the indian state of Uttarakhand and headquarters of Nainital district in the Kumaon foothills of the outer Himalayas. Situated at an altitude of 1,938 metres (6,358 feet) above sea level, Nainital is set in a valley containing a pear-shaped lake, approximately two miles in circumference, and surrounded by mountains, of which the highest are Naina (2,615 m (8,579 ft)) on the north, Deopatha (2,438 m (7,999 ft)) on the west, and Ayarpatha (2,278 m (7,474 ft)) on the south. From the tops of the higher peaks, "magnificent views can be obtained of the vast plain to the south, or of the mass of tangled ridges lying north, bounded by the great snowy range which forms the central axis of the Himalayas."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nainital

"It is believed that Nainital figures in some ancient myths of India. In the Manas Khand of the Skand Puranas, Nainital Lake is called Tri-Rishi-Sarovar, hinting at the story of three sages (or rishis), Atri, Pulastya and Pulaha, who, upon finding no water in Nainital, dug a large hole at the location of the present day lake (sarovar = lake) and filled it with water from the holy lake Manasarovar in Tibet. According to lore, a dip in Naini Lake, "the lesser Manasarovar," earns merit equal to a dip in the great lake.
It is also believed that Naini Lake is one of the 64 Shakti Peeths, or religious sites where parts of the charred body of Sati (Parvati) fell on earth while being carried by Lord Shiva. The spot where Sati's eyes (or Nain) fell, came to be called Nain-tal or The goddess Shakti is worshipped at the Naina Devi Temple on the north shore of the present day lake."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nainital

We stayed at the Cedar Lodge. "Cedar Lodge is located in Ramgarh district of Nainital (Uttaranchal - INDIA) at a distance of 43 kms from the Kathgodam Railway station." http://www.nivalink.com/cedarlodge/index.html

Halloween (or Hallowe’en) is a mostly national holiday celebrated on the evening of October 31; today it is often celebrated in the morning and afternoon as well. Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, ghost tours, bonfires, costume parties, visiting haunted attractions, carving jack-o'-lanterns, reading scary stories, and watching horror movies. Irish and Scottish immigrants carried versions of the tradition to North America in the nineteenth century. Other western countries embraced the holiday in the late twentieth century. Halloween is celebrated in several countries of the Western world, most commonly in the United States, Canada, Ireland, Puerto Rico, Japan, Australia, the United Kingdom, and at times in parts of New Zealand. In Sweden, the All Saints' official holiday takes place on the first Saturday of November.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb