Was Ancient Mandawa Treasure Burned by Bollywood?


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Shekhawati
October 19th 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: driving in india 104 secs
We visited Rajasthan with James and Karita. James has been in Delhi about 2 years and Karita has been here about 18 months. He is from Boston and she is from Finland but they met in Bejing a few years ago. They invited us to join them for a few days in Mandawa which is about a 6 hour drive from Delhi.

Upon our arrival in Mandawa, we were surprised to hear a story that a Bollywood producer has paid 95,000 rupees (about $2000 US dollars) to burn a Mandawa Haveli which has 200 year old frescos painted on the inside. We were allowed to tour the Haveli for $4 per person and we took a few photos of what indeed appeared to be fire damaged fresco paintings on the inside of one of these homes. There appeared to be smoke damage on many of the fresco’s inside the 18th century home.

If it is true … as was reported to us by a local Rajasthan tour guide … that a Bollywood producer started a fire inside one of these national treasures … I hope the public becomes aware and boycotts the film, and the government acts in a responsible way to protect other treasures in the area. We were told that it was burned to provide special effects for a Bollywood movie.

Wikipedia:
This town has been referred to as the "open art gallery" of Rajasthan because the entire Shekhawati region and not just Mandawa is dotted with fascinating mansions(havelis) that have lavishly painted walls.
• Hanuman Prasad Goenka Haveli
This haveli has a painting depicting Indra Dev on an elephant and Lord Shiva on his Nandi bull.
• Goenka Double Haveli
This haveli, with two gates, has monumental façade of elephants and horses. The outer walls, jutting balconies, alcoves and overhanging upper storeys of the Goenka Double Haveli are replete with patterns and paintings, ranging from traditional Rajasthani women and religious motifs to Europeans in stylish hats and Victorian finery.
• Murmuria Haveli
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandawa




Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st December 2008

Excellent
Nice to see about mandawa, absolutely fantastic art in havelies. Historical town mandawa. Thanks QROPS

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb