Jaisalmer, The Golden City!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
November 22nd 2008
Published: January 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A giant fort and camel treks! How could we say no!

Jaisalmer is basically a giant sand castle with a town attached. Built in 1156, the fort has 99 bastions on its outer wall, and a quarter of the cities population still lives within these walls. It had its share of seiges and in the 13th Century one of these sieges lasted 8 years. The Palace was beautiful, especially the rooftop views across the fort, city, and into the Thar Desert.

We spent a few days wandering along the winding streets ouside and inside the fort wall. It was the first time I saw my engagement ring! A shop keeper got our attention (not easy to do) and we went in and looked at the jewlery that his brother and father carve from silver and stone. He showed us rings that had been carved over the years and designs of what they could carve. Some have entire stories carved into them, they really are incredibly detailed and the family has become famous in india (they are in the Lonely Planet too!). Anyway, I saw one that have monuments of india on it and fell in love. I wouldn't buy it because I couldn't justify the cost! In the end Gunnar snuck back to the palace and bought the ring while I went to get cash... (an ordeal on its own...)



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

cowcow
cow

Found out that cows love cardboard!!
Jo Jo
Jo

Jo on her palace audio tour


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb