Destination: the Pink City


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
May 21st 2013
Published: May 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today we have arrived in Jaipur, the pink city. Our drive was relatively long and provided us with a very intimate look at the lives of locals. Driving here is like taking your life in your hands, at first, then you sort of adopt a fatalism/trust in the clusterfuck of a tornado you see on the roads. It's madness, but it works as our driver informed us you must have four things to drive in India; 1. Good horn, 2. Good brakes 3. Good luck and 4. Good patience.

The tea here is prepared fantastically with mail and cardamom and a pinch of heaven. I'm afraid I'm ruined forever, I will have to figure out how to make it so perfectly when I get home. We stopped at a roadside stand and had tea made with buffalo milk. There is a difference in taste as theirs seems much richer. The food is amazing, without fail.

Men typically dress in westernized apparel, though with few exceptions most women wear saris. Saris are apparently subsidized by the government, an interesting factoid I learned today while visiting local shop. Jaipur, we have been told, is the best place to shop. We visited a family owned jewelry shop before heading to a textile shop. The textiles were fascinating, so beautiful and of such good quality. I was able to try on a sari and I am not going to lie, I felt pretty while wearing it. Indian women are beautiful and their clothing only serves to enhance that beauty.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



21st May 2013

Sounds like a great adventure!
I am a bit jealous, reading about the delicious food and tea, your adventures of traversing the local highways and exploring gorgeous textile shops. Have a great trip!
23rd May 2013

You're adventure awaits!
India will be here for you, when you're ready :)

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb