Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
December 13th 2009
Published: December 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Palace in the lakePalace in the lakePalace in the lake

Not the result of local flooding but a cunning plot to keep invaders out.


Jaipur Today we are in the pink, as Jaipur is known. It's the capital of Rajastan and where most tourists do the Rajastan triangle.


The hotel looks like a set from a Bollywood epic, over the top with kitschy heritage about it. What a contrast with the Delhi one, even loo paper here ! I'll spare any other details.



Unlike Delhi Jaipur is overtly touristy, but still life as it exists in the raw is plain to see. A modern feel to the place, even if the cows appears on the pavements doing some window shopping.


The local maharajah and his ancestors are revered it seems, like a mini royal family. His palaces are ancient big and huge, like to The Amber Palace outside the city.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Silly  visitorsSilly  visitors
Silly visitors

Visitors brighten up an otherwise drab area of the Amber Fort.
Gladys waters the gladsGladys waters the glads
Gladys waters the glads

The hard work is done by the ladies.
The Umaid Mahal hotelThe Umaid Mahal hotel
The Umaid Mahal hotel

Our understated hotel. The inside is just as drab.
Amber FortAmber Fort
Amber Fort

A truly enormous fort swamping an even bigger ruined palace on the hilltop beyond.
More hard workMore hard work
More hard work

Only women seem to do the hard work. Otherwise they are no-where, not in the overstaffed hotels (not one), or shops or museums etc....almost invisible.
A shop in JaipurA shop in Jaipur
A shop in Jaipur

What with its new rebranding what can possibly go wrong with this computer shop?
Going for walkiesGoing for walkies
Going for walkies

Not to be outdone by the West's passion for mechanical hamsters, the Indian version from 'Elephants R Us' is bound to make it big.
DaisyDaisy
Daisy

Indecision, indecision, which shop will I head for now?
Man on a missionMan on a mission
Man on a mission

Taking his cue from visiting hippies, a local dresses up in what he assumes is the latest in western fashion.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb