Delhi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory
December 11th 2009
Published: December 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


...

The cat that's got the cream- Gary enjoys a thali in 'The Banana Leaf'
Journey with Turkish Air was good, an interesting Afghan beside me. He's the national seed co-ordinator for the UN, no less, and insists I can visit and enjoy Afghanistan as a tourist, if I go to the right places, hmmm..... maybe next time.



Delhi Nothing quite prepares you for Delhi, not even a previous visit. Chaos was invented here, I think, and it's practised very successfully every day - traffic, noise, enormous numbers of humanity zig-zagging in random directions, like a beehive at work. Raj, our Delhi fixer is very good and we hired him to take us around the sights, much less of a hassle - the place is full of smiley tricksters who inists where you want to go is closed,but he knows just the place that's open. Delhi's not for the fainthearted, but what a fascinating place none-the-less.




It feels much safer here than in South America, even the tricksters go away with a smile. I expected fog and cool here in the north, but it's very warm, about 25 deg - no rain for 3 years they tell me. The place is gearing up big time for the Commonwealth games
In the ParkIn the ParkIn the Park

Locals look and laugh at the bizarre western clothes of the Bromsgrove Gazette photographer.
next year - more serious than the London Olympics it seems.




The hotel is near the railway station, which means it's in a really old part of town - this is the real Delhi, with it's traders, street food sellers, and bikes, cars, tuk-tuks all making a racket. Strangely the hotel is a quiet Oasis, not many guests even though it's the high season, and 5 hotel staff to every guest by the looks of it.

Gandhi's last home is a very serene house and grounds. Here he received many visitors, including one in a crowd that gunned him down at the end of prayers.


After 2 tiring but exhilarating days in Delhi, it's an early morning start on the 6.00 train to Jaipur. Free tea, biks, and a free breakfast of veggie things - Virgin trains could learn a lot from these guys. Settling into the hotel... next blog in a couple of a days..


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Visiting childVisiting child
Visiting child

At Hanayums tomb some visitors prefer the culture pick-me-up of 'Bingo'
India GateIndia Gate
India Gate

High state of alert, scene of a terrorist attack in the heart of Delhi 2 years ago.
RajRaj
Raj

Raj, our Delhi fixer with his wonderful Ambassador taxi.
Cool morningCool morning
Cool morning

Keeping one's head warm wouldn't be quite right without a Vivienne Westwood creation.
Rail to JaipurRail to Jaipur
Rail to Jaipur

Mum and children on the way to school by the railway track
Gandhi's MuseumGandhi's Museum
Gandhi's Museum

Where Gandhi was gunned down.


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb