Amber Fort - Jewel of Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
March 14th 2021
Published: March 14th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 13th March - Amber Fort - Jewel of Jaipur



The historic hill fort rises above the town of Amer (it is sometimes called Amer Fort), which was the capital of the Kuchwaha Rajputs from the 11th to the 18th century. Construction began in 1592 by Maharaja Man Singh, a commander in the army of the Mughal emperor Akbar. In shades of honey and rose stone, white marble and gilt decor, Amber Fort is more of a palace than a fortress, and the design is a unique mix of Hindu and Muslim styles.



Dilip was our virtual guide & as he climbed the steps he stopped for breath and we could listen to the musician.



We entered through Sun Gate, the palace is divided into four main sections, each having its own entry gate and courtyard. The Suraj Pol (Sun Gate) is the main entry.



The first courtyard is where armies would hold victory parades with their war bounty on their return from battles, and were also witnessed by the Royal family’s women folk through the latticed windows. This gate faces to east, to the rising sun, hence named
Sun Gate.



Due to timescale & signal we weren’t able to visit all the courtyards but what we saw was very interesting.



The oldest part of the fort, completed in 1599, includes the Palace of Man Singh and the zenana, women’s quarters. In the centre of the zenana is a pavilion, and the wives’ rooms were arranged around the courtyard.



The second courtyard, houses the Hall of Public Audience, built with a double row of columns, built on a raised platform with 27 colonnades, each mounted with an elephant-shaped sculpture, with galleries about it. Here, the King would hear and receive petitions from the public.

From this hall we could enjoy fine views from the palace ramparts over picturesque Maota Lake below.



Maota Lake at the foot of a cliff, is said to contain a Lingam. According to ancient folklore, the state of Amber will come to an end when the stone is completely submerged. The lake itself is a beautiful sight, with a garden island, located in the centre.



This virtual tour really was just a brief taster of what this magnificent fort
has to offer for the visitors.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement







Tot: 0.992s; Tpl: 0.046s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.2442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb